The truth about Hifonics Brutus BRZ15D4

Bassick

I'm finally getting back into car audio. I'm starting out on about a $1200 system.

Entry Level

Head Unit: Alpine 147B

Cross Over: Kicker Front Row

Sub Amp: Brutus BRX1100.1Mono Block

Mid Amp: Brutus BRX320.4 4 channel

Highs Amp: Brutus BRX160.2 2 channel

Sub Woofers: 2 Brutus BRZ15D4

Mid Range: 2 ATL5768CX(5"x7"); 2 HF8SQ-i4 (8" square drivers)

Tweeters: Pyramid TW47 (2" super tweeters)

What I would like to discuss is about the subwoofers; The Hifonics Brutus BRZ15D4 Subwoofers.

I recently ordered and received 2 of these subs. I haven't installed them yet. The T/S parameters provided by the manufacturer just doesn't seem realistic. I'm not actually looking for the correct T/S parameters, I just want to know if anyone else has owned a pair (one).

If there is anyone that had any dealings with these subs, I'm looking for some feed back. I know, I know, these are budget subs, but before I begin my build for these subs I would like to know about there performance. Are they any good, are they bad, will they do, can they hit high spl's or can they hit low sq. Please if you are going to bash these subs, don't reply unless its realistic. But any replies would be appreciated.

Not trying to offend you, man, but you could've put helluva system together for $1200 had you gotten some suggestions here first.

OoooK! Can you say "Entry Level". Not offended. Understand completely what you are saying. Did all my research, homework and all of that. What I have is just a basic system to build upon myself. I didn't want to spend $1200 based off of some car audio shop guy opinion or go by "if it was me I would". I have very good knowledge on car audio. This is a beginners system that can be built upon. Pay attention to the head unit I have; Alpine 147BT (2013 model), it has Blue Tooth and a 9 Band Parametric EQ $180 bucks. Cross Over- Alpine Front Row $250 bucks. The Hifonics Amps three of them, all together around $325, I think Hifonics makes pretty good amps. Everything else I bought, well "elcheapo", for a reason tho. Didn't want to spend big dollars on drivers til I heard actual sound coming from the system, in the long run I will come out ahead. I just wanted to know if anyone out there have had the Hifonics Brutus BRZ15D4, and if yes, how do they perform.

My friend has a BRZ12D2 and it breaks a 139 at the dash without tuning by its self. Honestly you should have came here first and asked for suggestion's like the guy said up top but it's a little late for that haha but i had the BRZ2400.1 and the BRX2400.1 and yes they are great amps and honestly people don't give Hifonics there credit even though they hold title's but that's what happens when you have thousands of "little" company nut huggers lol, really Hifonics will not just come out with complete trash if it has that brutus badge on it so you'll be ok not sayin those would be my woofer of choice but they'll get loud if you get a good box and lots of tuning and don't forget to run a sweep in the car before you build your box.

Hold up! Missing the point, I know what I have, a budget sub, yes a budget sub, $100 bucks a piece. In the foreseeable future I will be upgrading to one 18", somewhere around $500 bucks, don't know what brand yet. But for right now, I have exactly what I want. A reasonable priced sub-woofer for entry level. These are my play-with Subs that take 600 watts RMS (Hifonics claim). And as for as asking for suggestions, not to be rude, but I wasn't looking for any. You guys can do me a big favor by not telling me about how I should have made suggestions about buying equipment, and tell me about the performance of the Brutus BRZ15D4.

For instance, the owner's manual says that each sub optimal is 4 cubic feet, and I have more than enough room for both subs. But what I don't like about it is that it is tuned to 40 Hz. I want be tuning that high. I'm thinking around 30 Hz. Reason being is because I'm going for SQ not SPL. I want be dumping a lot of power to these subs because they want hold up. I plan to stay below half way gain, subsonic filtered around 27-30 Hz, and low pass filtered at 75 Hz. Want be turning up the volume at head unit to blasting levels. I am deeply passionate with getting extremely low. I know I want reach my goal with these subs, they are just a start.

I do have a master plan. My box will be built into the trunk (actually the trunk will be the box) of my 2000 Grand Marquis. I don't plan on getting rid of the car anyway, and if I do, that will be the next person's problem (sold as is, take it or leave it). If you don't know what the trunk of a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic looks like google it. I will take up all the space from finder to finder, and seal off all holes with something like expansion foam. The baffle will be a sheet of 3/4" mdf. Full bracing air tight ported.

Now with that in mind, I will build another box on top of the baffle (sides mdf, top curved plexi glass) to totally enclose the two sub-woofers and port(s) off from the trunk. The top enclosure would extend to the back seat and open up at the rear deck. That way no trunk compression and all the sound will have a clear path to the cabin.

Not a good start

The amps don't do near rated power.

The crossover networks are pretty ******

They aren't very clean.

The cd playercan have a 100 band eq that doesn't mean its a good buy or will sound good.

Those mids are tweeters are laugh able at best and those subs are among the worst on the market.

I'd suggest returning that trash and starting over.

I wouldn't believe the ts parameters from hifonics..

For 1200 you could have gotten a single file ssd 15 a audioque 1200.1 a Kenwood x696 and a AQ 90,4.

OoooK! Can you say "Entry Level". Not offended. Understand completely what you are saying. Did all my research, homework and all of that. What I have is just a basic system to build upon myself. I didn't want to spend $1200 based off of some car audio shop guy opinion or go by "if it was me I would". I have very good knowledge on car audio. This is a beginners system that can be built upon. Pay attention to the head unit I have; Alpine 147BT (2013 model), it has Blue Tooth and a 9 Band Parametric EQ $180 bucks. Cross Over- Alpine Front Row $250 bucks. The Hifonics Amps three of them, all together around $325, I think Hifonics makes pretty good amps. Everything else I bought, well "elcheapo", for a reason tho. Didn't want to spend big dollars on drivers til I heard actual sound coming from the system, in the long run I will come out ahead. I just wanted to know if anyone out there have had the Hifonics Brutus BRZ15D4, and if yes, how do they perform.
first rule in car audio forum never say I have a very good knowledge on car audio specially if you think 2 Brutus BRZ15D4 is a good basic system

Hold up! Missing the point, I know what I have, a budget sub, yes a budget sub, $100 bucks a piece. In the foreseeable future I will be upgrading to one 18", somewhere around $500 bucks, don't know what brand yet. But for right now, I have exactly what I want. A reasonable priced sub-woofer for entry level. These are my play-with Subs that take 600 watts RMS (Hifonics claim). And as for as asking for suggestions, not to be rude, but I wasn't looking for any. You guys can do me a big favor by not telling me about how I should have made suggestions about buying equipment, and tell me about the performance of the Brutus BRZ15D4.
For instance, the owner's manual says that each sub optimal is 4 cubic feet, and I have more than enough room for both subs. But what I don't like about it is that it is tuned to 40 Hz. I want be tuning that high. I'm thinking around 30 Hz. Reason being is because I'm going for SQ not SPL. I want be dumping a lot of power to these subs because they want hold up. I plan to stay below half way gain, subsonic filtered around 27-30 Hz, and low pass filtered at 75 Hz. Want be turning up the volume at head unit to blasting levels. I am deeply passionate with getting extremely low. I know I want reach my goal with these subs, they are just a start.

I do have a master plan. My box will be built into the trunk (actually the trunk will be the box) of my 2000 Grand Marquis. I don't plan on getting rid of the car anyway, and if I do, that will be the next person's problem (sold as is, take it or leave it). If you don't know what the trunk of a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic looks like google it. I will take up all the space from finder to finder, and seal off all holes with something like expansion foam. The baffle will be a sheet of 3/4" mdf. Full bracing air tight ported.

Now with that in mind, I will build another box on top of the baffle (sides mdf, top curved plexi glass) to totally enclose the two sub-woofers and port(s) off from the trunk. The top enclosure would extend to the back seat and open up at the rear deck. That way no trunk compression and all the sound will have a clear path to the cabin.

budget stuff and garbage equipment are 2 different things did you buy all these yet? I hope your going to say no i have not bought it yet

Jesus fugging christ people......

Those particular 15’s sound pretty decent at 3.3 at 31-33hz from personal experience. Many people on here would have gone a different direction, but I'm sure you have your reasons for your choices. To each their own, if your happy with how it sounds then who cares. Sorry you got bashed for asking a specific question about your subs.

Side note... that box and tuning was for a single 15 on about 350 watts

I've head the 12's. They were puttin' in work for a 70 dollar sub. This was in a prefab ported (probably tuned to high and way too small). I don't think the 15's can be all that bad. You can't find a bad review on them anywhere and you can find em' for 75 bucks a piece.

Hifonics does make good products you guys call them **** because you see other people dump on them and never experienced them yourself I had 4 hfi12d4s in a chevey caprice and they got loud the box wasnt **** but they got down now I got a buick and im doing it again with the proper box and with the hfx12d4s but if I can find 2 15s for that price why not that build sounds sick just make sure your box is right double check with a pro and go from there good luck with the build id love to see how it turns out maybe I could use some off your ideas to spark more for mine

Those subs do get loud. They can handle more abuse than kicker comps. If you already got the subs use them op, for 90$ a piece they're really not that bad.

remindes me of a buddy I had about 15 years ago. He had a 85 cutlass with two hifonics subs, i cant remember the model, but man they were loud. I could literally hear him coming from blocks away. he ate a bullet so I cant ask him but they were warriors are something, who knows.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.