Testing AGM battery

The only thing about having someplace like autozone test it is if you provide the incorrect data about the battery, then it will read FAIL.

IE, they will ask you something like what is the CA rating of it. If you provide a number thats greater than it's capability, it will fail the tester.

What is it resting at and what are you using to charge?

Well I don't know which one of the two batteries it is , but will not hold a charge ,i charge it about every 3 days , I will have to take both and go from there they're xs power 3400 1 is about 6yrs old the other is about 4yrso old

I don't think a auto parts store can test a high performance battery.....I think those places that have equipment to test store bought batteries only. Tell me if I'm wrong. @adulbrich

I have an inexpensive battery tester from Amazon. It has settings for CCA, in/out of the car and, more relevant, the type of battery.

So long as the correct setting is used, they should be able to check any lead acid, AGM or gel battery.

And, yes, having the incorrect battery type entered will cause an incorrect reading.

a load test should still show if doesn't have enough amps.. my reg 850cca only had 500amps so i got the agm., feel sure it'll show up the same way..

My method for testing batteries falls back to the tried and true old-school method. If the ambient temperature is not 20°C to 25°C, then adjust the measured results to the manufacturer's specifications. (I prefer to just test in the specified temperature range.)

Step 1 - Properly and fully charge the battery to 100% for 24 hours.

Step 2 - Fully disconnect and allow the battery to remain idle for 24 hours.

Step 3 - Connect the test equipment that will permit measuring the battery voltage, measuring the output current and permit application of a C/20 Hour load. Note that C is the battery capacity, such as 100AH, Ampere-Hour. In that example 100AH / 20H = 5A load

Step 4 - Start the test, noting time zero, voltage measured at time zero, apply the C/20 Hour load and current measured at time zero.

Step 5 - Log the voltage and current throughout the test.

Step 6 - Stop the test, remove the current load when the voltage reaches the manufacturer's specified end value, such as 10.5V.

Step 7 - Properly and fully recharge the battery to 100% for 24 hours.

The battery meets the new nameplate rating when the measured ampere-hour capacity is met or exceeded.

The battery is typically considered end-of-life when the measured ampere-hour capacity is under 50% of the nameplate rating, in this example if the battery cannot supply 50AH during the test.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.