Do i need to vent an agm?

Participant count
  • Participant list

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
NE AR
I'm just waiting on time to free up to mount my 2nd battery. I was telling my uncle what I was doing (and while I'm sure I'm fine) he said I can't mount a battery on the driver's side passenger floorboard without venting. I know with a standard lead acid battery you need some sort of venting, and I'm going agm. He did raise enough of doubt that I'd rather ask the dumb question...do I need to vent an agm in the passenger compartment?

I'm just waiting on time to free up to mount my 2nd battery. I was telling my uncle what I was doing (and while I'm sure I'm fine) he said I can't mount a battery on the driver's side passenger floorboard without venting. I know with a standard lead acid battery you need some sort of venting, and I'm going agm. He did raise enough of doubt that I'd rather ask the dumb question...do I need to vent an agm in the passenger compartment?
Yes, even an AGM battery should be vented. Before Bobby gets in an uproar, Yes, I used to sell batteries:

Yes, even an AGM battery should be vented. Before Bobby gets in an uproar, Yes, I used to sell batteries:

As far as I'm aware, even lithium batteries need venting of some kind. You should never put any battery in a non-vented container because it basically turns into a bomb. As far as venting to the outside, your mileage and experience may vary.

I think we would all be better off if we just added Bobby to our ignore lists as a collective. Let him spew his gibberish in the void.

Matt

As far as I'm aware, even lithium batteries need venting of some kind. You should never put any battery in a non-vented container because it basically turns into a bomb. As far as venting to the outside, your mileage and experience may vary.

I think we would all be better off if we just added Bobby to our ignore lists as a collective. Let him spew his gibberish in the void.

Matt
Yes, anything that creates heat could expand and if those gasses are not vented it could burst. Sometimes with substatial force.

Venting to the outside was what I was asking...i should've been a bit more clear 😂...I wasn't gonna put it in a sealed battery box

Matt

The cab of your vehicle is vented. Look it up. Hence the cabin filters. He wants to put it inside the vehicle which is vented. He will be fine. Prove me wrong.

Matt

Re-read the OP's question genius. Then think carefully how you are going to reply. Then think about it one more time. Then don't post it because nobody gives a crap what you think.

Quite a few batteries still have a venting method to keep from expansion.The cabin in majority of vehicles do have venting to minimize pressure. i myself wouldnt want to be sitting next to an exposed battery of any kind while driving though. LOL. Even if it leaks it wouldnt sit well with me.Id rather have the extra battery under the hood, in the far rear or outside in a tool chest in a truck. You can see the Vent holes for each cell in this AGM

That's kind of the rub...there's no room under the hood and the planned box eats up the rear storage...the only place I have is the floorboard behind the drivers seat...and I probably should have a second battery running at 1k watts now but jumping to a 3-4k for the icons...I'll definitely need it...just trying figure out how to do it right...

And that's no counting the 4 channel already installed but an additional 2 channel in the near future...

That's kind of the rub...there's no room under the hood and the planned box eats up the rear storage...the only place I have is the floorboard behind the drivers seat...and I probably should have a second battery running at 1k watts now but jumping to a 3-4k for the icons...I'll definitely need it...just trying figure out how to do it right...

And that's no counting the 4 channel already installed but an additional 2 channel in the near future...
I see no reason that you couldnt put an AGM in a battery box behind the drivers seat then? I thought you stated in the front drivers passenger floorboard? Id at least put the extra battery in a battery box with a lid and maybe put some ventilation holes on either side rather than on top to get some air flow. My brother and I did his van not long ago with 3 duracell 34/78 AGMs in a lock box behind the drivers seat before the shelves and drilled holes on ea side with one square fan mounted on the cabin side to push air through. No issues for almost 6 months.Lock box is electronic to open he found on Amazon. Looks pretty cool. Runs an AC in his van off a 2500 watt Sine Wave invertor

I

Had the 90 stock but I put a 320 amp j&s in a few months back...I wanted room to grow 😁

Did the big 3 in 1/0 at same time as the alternator swap
One AGM under the hood and one in the rear should be more than enough for that Alt.( I dont like mixing a Lead with an AGM) Thats me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...