Taramps SMART3 Gain setting?

I set my by ear honestly with a 40hz tone then ran some techmaster through and slightly readjusted. After watching the barevids explanation in this dyno run I didn't have 100% faith in the light at 1ohm.

I've never seen my clip light come on and I ran with the gain almost halfway for little over a week but my subs sounded not quite right at full tilt. I assume it was the power limiter kicking in because when I backed the gain gain to were it should be the "not quite rightness" went away.

Last edited:
When I have an amplifier with a remote clip light on it, I generally set the gain with a 50hz -6db tone. Then use the clipping light and remote bass control to stay clean.

I can go full tilt on the head unit with no distortion. I just don't know what people use as far as audio for setting the gain. I am pretty sure the SMART3 is a full range amp. So pink noise, 1kHz tone, 40hz tone, 0db, -5db, -10, -15?
Set it like you would any other monoblock

I set my by ear honestly with a 40hz tone then ran some techmaster through and slightly readjusted. After watching the barevids explanation in this dyno run I didn't have 100% faith in the light at 1ohm.

I've never seen my clip light come on and I ran with the gain almost halfway for little over a week but my subs sounded not quite right at full tilt. I assume it was the power limiter kicking in because when I backed the gain gain to were it should be the "not quite rightness" went away.

The clip light on my orion xtr2500.1dz was very accurate. The light came almost exactly the same time my oscilloscope showed clipped waves. Different amps of course, but every amp manufacturer should be capable of building a circuit that can detect clipping.

The clip light on my orion xtr2500.1dz was very accurate. The light came almost exactly the same time my oscilloscope showed clipped waves. Different amps of course, but every amp manufacturer should be capable of building a circuit that can detect clipping.
The smart3 has a limiter so that at 1 ohm it can't pull too much current at the same time it makes it difficult to clip at 1 ohm as it throttles back but it did make m
My subs sound "not right"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...