System reccomendations?

Machampp

Hello, I'm looking to get a system for my first car. It is a 2000 pontiac grand am. I definitely want the focus of everything to be around the base, but i definitely don't want to neglect the mids and highs. I want to keep the price around $700-$800. I was hoping one of you kind gentlemen can give me some ideas //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif haha thanks. If there's any other info I need to list let me know, sorry I'm a noob :p

I was planning on getting:

Head unit with usb

Sub(s)

Amp

Front speakers

Possibly tweeters?

I think I will keep the current rear speakers.

So what do you guys think? I'm kind of expecting to just get answers like "learn more about car audio", but I figured no harm in trying.

Last edited by a moderator:
flip screen indash screen with navigation& bluetooth/custom double din navi&bloototh

1 4 channel amp

upgraded mid& highs

thats just about does your budget right there

may be+ 1 subwoofer and a custom enclosure or not

It will be hard to do to with $500. What size door speakers do you have? If you can use 6.5" mids there are alot of option in a component set. Alot of components sets are power hungry and will want more than just a HU powering them.

Do you have access to a saw to build your own sub enclosure? this will help cut cost.

the best advice I can give you is don't be afraid to look into used stuff on in the classifieds. Woofersetc.com has alot of the stuff in the classifieds if you want to look up specs.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

[/color]

It will be hard to do to with $500. What size door speakers do you have? If you can use 6.5" mids there are alot of option in a component set. Alot of components sets are power hungry and will want more than just a HU powering them. Do you have access to a saw to build your own sub enclosure? this will help cut cost.

the best advice I can give you is don't be afraid to look into used stuff on in the classifieds. Woofersetc.com has alot of the stuff in the classifieds if you want to look up specs.
My door speakers are 6.5''. And my budget is a little higher than $500, I just don't want to be spending thousands just on my car audio. Also I was planning on building my sub enclosure, I forgot to mention that. And what is the most important thing to look for in subs? Also, if I replace the speakers, and the head unit doesn't have enough to power them, I need to get a multiple channel amp, correct? Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.. I suppose I can change my budget to $700-$800, around there.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------
[/color]

My door speakers are 6.5''. And my budget is a little higher than $500, I just don't want to be spending thousands just on my car audio. Also I was planning on building my sub enclosure, I forgot to mention that. And what is the most important thing to look for in subs? Also, if I replace the speakers, and the head unit doesn't have enough to power them, I need to get a multiple channel amp, correct? Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.. I suppose I can change my budget to $700-$800, around there.
how much room?..I am thinking max displacement and horsepower if you have the room. And yes, a good 2 channel on the front set of speakers would be highly recommended.

I am just tossing some stuff out there, not knowing the specifics of what you can do...just examples of what can be done in that price range, equipment wise. You can get a little cheaper, but not much better, IMO.

$735.00 for the following equipment chosen around system output and reliability. I hope someone else can lay out a similar system with pricing using new components that would beat this one...we will see if that happens.

Sony CDX-GT565UP Car MP3 CD Players at Onlinecarstereo.com -$109

Orion CO600.2 2 Channel Amplifiers at Onlinecarstereo.com - $89

AmericanBass SQ6.5 - $68/pair

AmericanBass HD2500 - $219

American Bass TNT1244 - $250/pair

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/dc-creations/544987-official-new-pricing.html - In case you decide to have a custom enclosure built.

i'm doing the same car ,you 6.5 in the doors and 6x8 in the rear .also youu need the integration kit for a aftermarket deck about $80 there , then a amp kit 50 .we'er doing a dc 15 in a ported box with a pioneer deck with 1000 watts ,this is all about 600 alone .later we'll do door speakers and the rear deck maybe plus you'll still need to have it installed .you might wanna take your budget to $1000 to get what you want .

"learn more about car audio"
Even your upgraded $700-800 budget is going to be difficult.

A decent single DIN HU could eat up almost half that, and is not the place to skimp on $$, but say you find one for $150+

Single 12" sub at $150+

Component/coax set at $150+

Amp at $100+

Enclosure materials at $50+

Big Three, power wiring , etc. at $100+

Even assuming you locate quality stuff at such minimal costs, you're looking at $700.

Are you going to do any sound deadening? Are you going to need everything installed by experienced/professional installer(s)?

Either one of those things will quickly push you past your set budget.

Def not saying it can't be done....just thinking that it will require patience and persistence on your part: you aren't going to pick up this stuff in a week, not and stay in your budget and still get quality.

Look in the Classifieds section for used equip.

Just my 2¢

Thanks for all the responses! Quackhead: I will look into all those that you posted. Thank you. And flex: thanks for your input, I might bump up the price range, but I am in no rush to get things done. I won't even have my license until April. And I was not planning on doing sound deadening nor having someone install everything for me, but I will continue to do research and then I can make a better decision as to what I want. Thanks everyone!

To give you an idea of a budget build see my sig.

hu --- 140.00 new

Install kit and wiring 40.00

Subs - 215.00 used

Amp- 123.00 new

Amp wiring 26.00 new

built my own box so 40.00 in materials

And still looking for front and rear comps.

Hello, I'm looking to get a system for my first car. It is a 2000 pontiac grand am. I definitely want the focus of everything to be around the base, but i definitely don't want to neglect the mids and highs. I want to keep the price around $700-$800. I was hoping one of you kind gentlemen can give me some ideas //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif haha thanks. If there's any other info I need to list let me know, sorry I'm a noob :p
I was planning on getting:

Head unit with usb

Sub(s)

Amp

Front speakers

Possibly tweeters?

I think I will keep the current rear speakers.

So what do you guys think? I'm kind of expecting to just get answers like "learn more about car audio", but I figured no harm in trying.
This was my first car as well I had a 2 door gt. First off I'd do a set of 5 1/4 components you will have to get adapters as all grand ams have are ****** 4x6s in the front doors. If you have factory tweeters they are 1 inch

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.