Suggestions.

You were right again, got my amp installed finally and it brought them to life...Even made my stock speakers sound great.(can't wait to get my Boston Pro60's installed in a couple weeks)
Also, hooked up my sub box with my JL 6-1/2" subs...And while they're not what I'm looking for long term, they sound A LOT better than I thought they would. Even thought about just buying 2 more of those and have two custom box's built on each side of my cargo area with (2) on each side. Just a thought...
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif on the note of the subs, if you like the way they sound and want to go that route then go for it bro. In the end youre the one who has to like it. Just be sure that the box specs remain the same as the one you have now to get that same sound that you seem to like. Or just have someone design you a box for all 4 of them.

Yeah, after thinking about it longer...I doubt that they will sound that good without something to hit off of. They're firing down right now, and even if I were to put six of them(three on each side) back there (and while they are a tight sounding sub) I still doubt it would give me the best SQ(or have the range) I'm looking for.

Went to a different place in town to get my amp installed and talked to their "lead" installer (whose supposedly won alot of SQ competitions) and told him that I was looking at the "stealthbox" and he said that he could fiberglass a 'PORTED' custom box with a JL10w6 in it and even finish it in the cover of my choosing(carpet, vinyl, plastic, etc..) for roughly the same price. I would have to buy another amp though to power the 10w6.

SQ wise, this would give me the best sound possible...Don't you think ?

Yeah, after thinking about it longer...I doubt that they will sound that good without something to hit off of. They're firing down right now, and even if I were to put six of them(three on each side) back there (and while they are a tight sounding sub) I still doubt it would give me the best SQ(or have the range) I'm looking for.
Went to a different place in town to get my amp installed and talked to their "lead" installer (whose supposedly won alot of SQ competitions) and told him that I was looking at the "stealthbox" and he said that he could fiberglass a 'PORTED' custom box with a JL10w6 in it and even finish it in the cover of my choosing(carpet, vinyl, plastic, etc..) for roughly the same price. I would have to buy another amp though to power the 10w6.

SQ wise, this would give me the best sound possible...Don't you think ?
yupp, just like I was tellin ya earlier. Have the box designed and built to the specs of the sub and then if it can be made to look purty go for it.

I've just always looked at it in the manner that I'd rather have a less than purty box that sounds good as opposed to a smexy looking box that sounds like wet baby farts. So, if he can build you a box that will maximize the performance of that w6, look purty and its within your budget sounds like you have a weiner!

Budget wise...It will be more doing it that way, I can get the w6 on Amazon for $289 and JL has a XD600/1 amp for $400...Then it will be another $300 to $600(depending on the finish) for the 'ported' enclosure. So, i would be looking at another $1200 to $1500 by going that route.

As opposed to $800 with buying just the 'sealed' stealthbox...

You won't notice a difference. I've had a slash series JL amp and I still get the Boston amps all day. As long as the amp is setup correctly, it'll sound the same. I even run the ever so hated Kicker for my sub amp and it still sounds just as good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You ever heard the Boston subs? (G3 or SPG) I could save money there too it looks like...Just hard for me to NOT go with JL when it comes to subs.
I recently heard a G3 and it sounded smexy IMO. Didnt really get to extensively listen to it though so cant really make a fair comparison not to mention we have different ears. I'd love to get my hands on a SPG though. I will say, the JL subs do sound very nice (w6 and w7). I honestly dont think you can go wrong either way with Boston or JL Audio on subs. Dayton Audio is still a great company to look into for budget minded SQ subs and they like small boxes, which you'll probably have. SQ is amazing on them as well.

I know its pretty hard to tell the SQ of subs through a video, but look through this thread of mine. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/video-database/530526-some-vids-my-sq-system.html I have some "SQ" vids as well as some vids of the subs playing louder. That song I am playing in the bass videos hits a low note of around 24hz IIRC right when that car alarm goes off in one of the vids and I run them in a tiny ported box on only about 375-400wrms to each sub. The Dayton reference subs are definitely worth considering.

Looks like I'm going with the JL-10w6 in a ported custom box(one that matches the 'stealthbox' look) and going to upgrade my amp from the current(XM700/5) to the HD900/5. The thought is, not only will I get 200 more watts(RMS) on the sub channel. But, I'll also be going from 75x4@4ohm to 100x4@4ohm.(RMS) So, I'll have more power all the way around AND the HD is a "digital amp" with supposedly better SQ...And they're going to sell it to me for $750(plus, take my other amp as a trade in as well)

So, in the long run I'm probably going to be spending $500 to $700 more than what I was really wanting too. But, SQ wise I don't think that I would be able to beat that setup...

Don't you think?

Looks like I'm going with the JL-10w6 in a ported custom box(one that matches the 'stealthbox' look) and going to upgrade my amp from the current(XM700/5) to the HD900/5. The thought is, not only will I get 200 more watts(RMS) on the sub channel. But, I'll also be going from 75x4@4ohm to 100x4@4ohm.(RMS) So, I'll have more power all the way around AND the HD is a "digital amp" with supposedly better SQ...And they're going to sell it to me for $750(plus, take my other amp as a trade in as well)
So, in the long run I'm probably going to be spending $500 to $700 more than what I was really wanting too. But, SQ wise I don't think that I would be able to beat that setup...

Don't you think?
Given its a good box design should make for some very nice SQ.

You can probably save some cash by going with a Boston or Alpine PDX amp over that JL HD amp.

Boston has a GTA 1105 (i think thats it)

and Alpine PDX 5 is a great amp. I have one on my golf cart.

But, thats not to say anything is wrong with the JL HD amp. Very nice amps. Just some suggestions to look into for saving some cash.

Looking at those two...The Alpine PDX5 has the same output as my current JL 700/5 amp and the Boston GTA1105 while it compares power wise to the JL 900/5

it won't fit under my seat...Also, I don't HAVE to have the 900/5 amp right off the bat. I can buy my 10w6 and have the box built/installed and run it off my current amp

for the time being...Then upgrade the amp last.

That's what i'd do.

More than likely going from 75 to 100 on the comps wont make an audible difference anyway.

The sub may like the extra wattage but u may be fine with the output from your current amp on it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.