Subwoofer smell

Xkrtwi

CarAudio.com Recruit
Finland
I have a subwoofer that has 1000wrms dual vc connected to 2ohm. My amp gives 1700wrms 2ohm, i have my gain adjustet to the output voltage of 45volt. Today i played it at 43 volume on my headunit for about 25minutes the max is 63 but i dont go past that because of clipping. So the subwoofer gave a little voicecoil smell and the subwoofer felt little warm is it ok i think the sub havent played that hard before.

I have a subwoofer that has 1000wrms dual vc connected to 2ohm. My amp gives 1700wrms 2ohm, i have my gain adjustet to the output voltage of 45volt. Today i played it at 43 volume on my headunit for about 25minutes the max is 63 but i dont go past that because of clipping. So the subwoofer gave a little voicecoil smell and the subwoofer felt little warm is it ok i think the sub havent played that hard before.
Just keep an eye on it, and inspect it regularly. It's probably excess glue burning off.

Depends if your amp is a true 1700 rms amp. If its something overrated like a hifonics the you are most likely at soft clipping point. Warm is fine. Coil glue smell is fine. However, warm with coil smell together is a bad combo. So do some longer tests at the same level and make sure the warmness doesnt get any more than it currently is.

Depends if your amp is a true 1700 rms amp. If its something overrated like a hifonics the you are most likely at soft clipping point. Warm is fine. Coil glue smell is fine. However, warm with coil smell together is a bad combo. So do some longer tests at the same level and make sure the warmness doesnt get any more than it currently is.

Because everybody knows what coil glue smells like. And, make sure that the "warmness" stays the same. Can you define "warmness" for us Car Audio newbies, please? I'm still trying to learn all this stuff, thanks man! Appreciate all your help!

excess glue burning off.
Not sure where people come up with this idea. Coils are not build with excess "glue" that needs to be burned off, and I can't vouch for Chinese made coils, but the American ones I use are baked at 475 for 60 minutes at the factory for the final stage of production.

If your coil is getting smelly it means you're putting in too much power. This is never good for it and will shorten its life. That doesn't mean you can't do this regularly and still get an acceptable lifespan out of your sub but understand that you are reaching thermal limits when you can smell **** burning.

Not sure where people come up with this idea. Coils are not build with excess "glue" that needs to be burned off, and I can't vouch for Chinese made coils, but the American ones I use are baked at 475 for 60 minutes at the factory for the final stage of production.

If your coil is getting smelly it means you're putting in too much power. This is never good for it and will shorten its life. That doesn't mean you can't do this regularly and still get an acceptable lifespan out of your sub but understand that you are reaching thermal limits when you can smell **** burning.
No one said that coils had excess glue that had to be burnt off. The post was about a possible source for the smell. The idea comes from other folks who have had similar issues with coils smelling. Just a general internet search and prior posts on this site also addressed this as a possible cause. You might be right about putting too much power into the sub, However, remain open-minded as we don't know for sure what caused this particular sub to smell. There may have been some excess glue on the coil. I'm just saying.

No one said that coils had excess glue that had to be burnt off. The post was about a possible source for the smell. The idea comes from other folks who have had similar issues with coils smelling. Just a general internet search and prior posts on this site also addressed this as a possible cause. You might be right about putting too much power into the sub, However, remain open-minded as we don't know for sure what caused this particular sub to smell. There may have been some excess glue on the coil. I'm just saying.
Just because some people on the internet parrot some ******** doesn't make it true. And yes, I can say with 100% certainty that if you're smelling something burning you are overpowering your speakers.

But if you're that committed to doubling down on this nonsense, tell us your theory about how much "excess glue" they put on a voice coil that we're supposed to be burning off, for bonus points you could explain why they use too much glue in the first place, as it seems the sort of waste that manufacturers look to avoid.

Just because some people on the internet parrot some ******** doesn't make it true. And yes, I can say with 100% certainty that if you're smelling something burning you are overpowering your speakers.

But if you're that committed to doubling down on this nonsense, tell us your theory about how much "excess glue" they put on a voice coil that we're supposed to be burning off, for bonus points you could explain why they use too much glue in the first place, as it seems the sort of waste that manufacturers look to avoid.

Do members get notified when you put them on your ignore list? I had to put someone on this post on my list the other day. If they reply with my quote, please let them know that I will not be getting their nonsensical, greater than thou responses. I love that feature.

Just keep an eye on it, and inspect it regularly. It's probably excess glue burning off.
After researching further, let us know what you find.

That’s one reason why I like ported boxes. I always tend to push my system to its limits, and I want to make sure I can smell it. I’m doing a 4th order now, so I won’t be able to smell if it’s burning up as easily. In hindsight, I wish I would have designed it with the magnet in the ported section, instead of the sealed side.

My type Rs had an odor for a few months when I first installed them. I thought it was glue heating up, but it’s not. The mix of a newly built box and the smell of a new sub can have an odd smell, but it isn’t a burning smell. I thought that as well.

Different coil coatings smell differently. Lack of cooling can cause overheating. Movement restricted minimizes travels, reduces cooling. A 1700W @ 2 ohm amp is based on a non-reactive load and perfect voltage and @ who knows what freq. Your sub will have impedance rise from movement and restrictions in movement from an enclosure. Clipping and distortion are the biggest issues that cause heat. Your sub has more resistance @ Fs and at enclosure tuning. If Fb is @ Fs, then the load on the amp will be much higher than nominal/Re impedance and trying to get power from the amp will run it right into clipping.

@ huberroy

For this board I would avoid blocking people since there' alot of back and forth dialog between topic creators and the users here (it will eventually cause confusion). There still going to quote you regardless so your better off just unblocking them and just not replying if the discussion doesn't interest you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.