Subwoofer not hitting as hard as it should?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Pkoblish

CarAudio.com Newbie
I recently picked up a skar svr10. Its running at 1 ohm to a skar rp800. As of now i'm running 800 watts rms into it because its fully broken in and the output just doesn't seem that impressive. I've seen videos of 1 of them shaking the rearview and outside mirrors, but on full volume mine doesn't seem to get that loud. It's almost hard to hear over voice. You can feel it, but not so much hear it. Its in a custom center console box 1.65 cubic feet tuned to 38 hz as recommended. Not sure if its HU settings or what but it doesn't seem as loud as it should be. Or I just need to pick up a 12". My head unit is a kenwood excelon KDC-X304, any recommendations?

center console box
That's your issue. Center console is really a poor location to get strong bass. Best place for a sub is off in a corner. Yes the difference could be dramatic, and no you really haven't got many good options in a pickup truck assuming that's what you're working with. Have reasonable expectations and if thunderous bass is a priority for you you'll need to pick a different vehicle or sacrifice a bit more space somewhere less convenient most likely.

Don't feed the trolls

That's your issue. Center console is really a poor location to get strong bass. Best place for a sub is off in a corner. Yes the difference could be dramatic, and no you really haven't got many good options in a pickup truck assuming that's what you're working with. Have reasonable expectations and if thunderous bass is a priority for you you'll need to pick a different vehicle or sacrifice a bit more space somewhere less convenient most likely.

Don't feed the trolls
I guess that would make sense, its an extended cab obs ford, so theres almost no room under the rear seats and no room behind the driver and passenger seat. Only option I guess would be to build a seat box but I'm happy enough as is now..

I recently picked up a skar svr10. Its running at 1 ohm to a skar rp800. As of now i'm running 800 watts rms into it because its fully broken in and the output just doesn't seem that impressive. I've seen videos of 1 of them shaking the rearview and outside mirrors, but on full volume mine doesn't seem to get that loud. It's almost hard to hear over voice. You can feel it, but not so much hear it. Its in a custom center console box 1.65 cubic feet tuned to 38 hz as recommended. Not sure if its HU settings or what but it doesn't seem as loud as it should be. Or I just need to pick up a 12". My head unit is a kenwood excelon KDC-X304, any recommendations?

Hmm, I've heard a 300 watt center console system sealed that was audible at decent volumes, although it was never "impressive"
Can you check your ohms at the amp with a multimeter to ensure you've got a good connection all the way to the sub coils? Otherwise verify amp and headunit gains and crossovers are set correctly.
What vehicle is it in? does the box replace the entire center console. Downfiring?

I guess that would make sense, its an extended cab obs ford, so theres almost no room under the rear seats and no room behind the driver and passenger seat. Only option I guess would be to build a seat box but I'm happy enough as is now..

Yep. No really good options. I have an older F250 and have sacrificed one of the back seats for sub.

I'm guessing anything you could cram under the seats wouldn't do a whole lot different than what you're getting now.

Oop just saw your post. I have done the same thing as hispls and sacrificed a rear seat.

Every vehicle of mine that has had a system has had all seats except the front seats removed, including 4 door SUV's. Excellent point that a center console box is the worst positioning inside of the cabin.

Trucks can have really funky acoustics, in my experience, really they seem to have the most funky acoustics out of any normal vehicle. I like doing bandpasses with smaller woofers or lowered power systems for extended or quad cabs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...