Subwoofer LEDs Help

chetomatic

Nov 12, 2010
Boston, MA
Hey, I know I risk looking like a complete idiot by admitting this, but I'm putting 2 12" Streetglow LED strips alongside my sub box. The only installation instructions say to connect the ground and the power to their respective sources. What I want to do is make them flash to the beat, much in the way my old Duals did. Can I hook them up to the speaker terminals on the sub box where the wires from the amp are hooked in? Or will this break the LEDs/underpower the subs? And if this isnt possible, does anyone know how to wire them to my amp? Thanks.

power-fanatic07

Knockin Doors Down
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
Texas
You have to also hook the power/ground from your amp into the speaker terminals along with the LED strips power/ground wires.

OP
C

chetomatic

Nov 12, 2010
Boston, MA
haha yeah im a little confused by that. what i mean is, should i put the speaker wire, which is coming from the amp, into the terminals on the box, AND put the LED's ground/power into the terminals too?

*SlappinAzz*

Shoot em
Mar 31, 2010
Virginia
Put your positive led wire into the positive speaker input along with the positive speaker wire.

Put your negative led wire into the negative speaker input along with the negative speaker wire.

Easy as that.

marcotheclepto

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Feb 19, 2009
United States
no, i dont see that as working. if its supposed to be powered by the car then plugging into the terminals on the box shouldnt work.

(car is dc power where as the amp puts out ac power.)

OP
C

chetomatic

Nov 12, 2010
Boston, MA
no, i dont see that as working. if its supposed to be powered by the car then plugging into the terminals on the box shouldnt work.
Well, I believe the AC would make it a) flash to the beat and b) my duals worked with this wiring configuration, but im using independent lights this time that arent built into the box, thats why i ask

*SlappinAzz*

Shoot em
Mar 31, 2010
Virginia
Quit being a dumbass. Ive done this many times.

*SlappinAzz*

Shoot em
Mar 31, 2010
Virginia
Well, I believe the AC would make it a) flash to the beat and b) my duals worked with this wiring configuration, but im using independent lights this time that arent built into the box, thats why i ask
It will work, trust me, when you start cranking the volume up, they flash harder.

OP
C

chetomatic

Nov 12, 2010
Boston, MA
It will work, trust me, when you start cranking the volume up, they flash harder.
thats what i figured...as long as nothing blows up in my face or fries im definitely gonna try it this way. thanks for the help

9515ROB

TEAM DTF
10+ year member
Jul 3, 2009
Sherman IL
it only works for so long before they take a s.hit but they will work for a lil and maybe longer if your lucky

bubbagumper6

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Apr 25, 2006
The D
This.

LED's generally run off DC, AC is quite different. My guess is they'll all glow REALLY bright for a very short period of time.

Bumpin' Goalie

Magic 8 Ball
Nov 16, 2009
TN & Travel
Many general auto parts stores sell very simple control units for lights.

Many come with on/off/bass modes. The "bass" mode either works via built-in mic or vibration depending on the unit.

They usually cost 20$. Just hook it up to power and ground and run the lights through it.

Safe and easy and gives you complete control over your lighting. Hooked this up in a vehicle for interior and exterior strobes and constants.

OP
C

chetomatic

Nov 12, 2010
Boston, MA
Alright thanks everyone I tried hooking it up to the subs directly and it worked...I'm keeping it that way until the music module is back in stock, I'll switch to that after.

Haunz

Packing 4/0
10+ year member
May 1, 2007
inside a sine wave
It is quite likley you are going to burn them out over time, as they are only ment to see around 14volts, and your amp will peak more around 35volts...

If you are going to leave them hooked up that way I'd put a 5w resistor in series with them... If you measure the DCR of the LEDs you should be able to figure out what value to use...

ahole-ic

Banned
Jan 20, 2010
Ivory Tower
....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wowflash.gif.89a61f4caede63a11dac36e97d61323e.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/coolflash.gif.4f9740e1268764cfe452b9259e375e3b.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wallbash.gif.1310150c49dd52e0fbe1813a0681e5c3.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds