Subwoofer barely moving... HELP!

Need help with my current problem. A couple weeks ago my subwoofer stopped working. I carry a lot of stuff in my trunk (bowling balls, golf clubs, etc.) and I assumed one of these damaged it in some way. I then bought a new 12" Kenwood sub and hooked it up. It still didn't work. Once this happened I began checking all the connections, which were good. The amp had a good ground and is getting power (enough for it to turn on at least). I then hooked my amp to my buddy's system. The amp is working fine. After this, I swapped out the RCA cables for some new ones, but the problem is still not solved. The only response I am getting is a SUPER faint rattle from the sub.

It's not the RCA cables or the Amplifier, so could it be my headunit or is it something else that I am missing. Please help.

My system:

JVC KD-420 headunit

Sony Sony XM-D9001GTR amp

Kenwood KFC-W3012 subwoofer 12" 4 ohm

Tsunami amp wiring kit

How does one wire a sub to 8 ohms? I know my amp has settings for subsonic filter, low boost, and low pass filter on the rear. Do these effect the ohms?
@sobe3yourself... I'm in Mission Viejo, not to far from you.
the coil configuration of the sub dictates how you can wire it, d1 can be wired to 2 or .5, d2 can go to 1 or 4, d4 can be wired to 2 or 8. the specs of your amp and sub tells you what you should wire to, to not blow, or underpower the subs, as well as not putting the amp into protect with low impedance

the settings on your amp only affect the signal sent to the subs, not the ohm load

I am confused as to what you mean by d1, d2, and d4? and what do the numbers mean that you followed with. (i.e.- 2 or.5) And anyone who is familiar with amps, tell me if these settings are correct for my subwoofer. The subwoofers frequency response is 39-300Hz

Well currently I have my amp's low pass filter set to 300Hz and the Subsonic filter set to ~45Hz (Not that clearly marked)... there is a switch for each that says -12dB/oct or -24dB/oct... I have them set to -12dB/oct, but I am not sure if that is correct. I am also unclear as to what lever I should set my "Level" too... The options are 6,4,2,1, 0.5, and 0.3W. Are these settings correct or are they the cause of the problem?

Your low pass filter cancels everything above the frequency that you set it at.. It should be set at ~80hz, what kind of box do you have? sealed or ported? that dictates what the subsonic filter should be set at.. not sure about the bassboot or "level" .. and D1 means you have dual 1 ohm voice coils, d2 dual 2 ohm voice coils.. the numbers corresponding to these are impedance levels that you can set your amp to see, note there may be more options..

I am confused as to what you mean by d1, d2, and d4? and what do the numbers mean that you followed with. (i.e.- 2 or.5) And anyone who is familiar with amps, tell me if these settings are correct for my subwoofer. The subwoofers frequency response is 39-300Hz
Well currently I have my amp's low pass filter set to 300Hz and the Subsonic filter set to ~45Hz (Not that clearly marked)... there is a switch for each that says -12dB/oct or -24dB/oct... I have them set to -12dB/oct, but I am not sure if that is correct. I am also unclear as to what lever I should set my "Level" too... The options are 6,4,2,1, 0.5, and 0.3W. Are these settings correct or are they the cause of the problem?
Are you setting your gains with a DMM? Also, if you turn the gain knob towards the .3 option, that increases the level, instead of turning it towards the bigger number.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.