Subs

Participant count
  • Participant list
The AP can handle 1100 watts and has a sensitivity rating of 88 db

THe SunDown sundown U12 v1 can handle 1750 watts and has a sensitivity rating of 85 db.

The AP at 1100 watts should, theoretically put out the same volume as the Sundown will at 2200 watts. These are very different beast though.

So at their respective RMS ratings, they will be approximately the same. less about 10% at 1750 watts for the SD driver at 1750.

Last edited:
The AP can handle 1100 watts and has a sensitivity rating of 88 db

THe SunDown sundown U12 v1 can handle 1750 watts and has a sensitivity rating of 85 db.

The AP at 1100 watts should, theoretically put out the same volume as the Sundown will at 2200 watts.

So at their respective RMS ratings, they will be approximately the same. less about 10% at 1750 watts for the SD driver at 1750.
Okay the sundown is 1500watts though

Okay the sundown is 1500watts though
Sorry was looking at the V2 specs.

It doesn't really matter though. You asked which will be louder. At the limits of the AP (which is the only one to compare as it is the highest common denominator), it will be louder than the SunDown by about 75%.

In order for the SD to play as loud as the AP at a given SPL, it would require double the output to make up for that 3 db in efficiency.

Since you cannot play the AP higher than 1100 watts, that is the only comparactive that is relevant. Since you would need 2200 watts to the SD to play as loud as the AP at 1100 watts, irrelevant again as the SD can only handle 1500 watts.

The SD will never be as loud, in this comparative as the AP - even at 1500 watts.

Last edited:

It doesn't really matter though. You asked which will be louder. At the limits of the AP (which is the only one to compare as it is the highest common denominator), it will be louder than the SunDown by about 75%.

In order for the SD to play as loud as the AP at a given SPL, it would require double the output to make up for that 3 db in efficiency.

Since you cannot play the AP higher than 1100 watts, that is the only comparactive that is relevant. Since you would need 2200 watts to the SD to play as loud as the AP at 1100 watts, irrelevant again as the SD can only handle 1500 watts.

The SD will never be as loud, in this comparative as the AP - even at 1500 watts.
The 3db doubling of power is not absolute. You love quoting it but it's not absolute.

To the op I would pick sundown durability over audiophile any day. Especially since Jacob designs the subs with kipper analysis to get his desired goal instead of audiophile just throwing parts at it till something sounds right.

Sundown 12 88.4db 1w1m
Audiopipe 12 88db at what 2.83v or 1w1m? We don't know if it's 2.83v the the 1w1m rating would be 85db which would make the sundown u12v1 more efficient

Either way it's a toss up and I would rather have a sundown than an audiopipe
Screenshot_20240524_202505_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

It's is math and it is accurate, all things being equal which this isn't but one has to have a baseline, for the hypothetical or un-SUB-stantiated aspects of the ratings.

He didn't ask which is better or which one I would purchase, he asked the which will be louder. On paper, all things considered equal, the AP should be louder at 1100 watts than that particualr sundown.

I'd personally get the Sundown in a heartbeat over that AP. At the 60% higher price, the fact that he is even looking at the AP, price might be the difference after all - all things considered equal.

Your assessment is just subjective and assumes that we know how one or the other calculates efficiency, and what if both are the opposite of the norm and there is actually a 6 db differential, again. not the questions and in general, the math is correct, theoretically speaker-ing...

Last edited:
It's is math and it is accurate, all things being equal which this isn't but one has to have a baseline, for the hypothetical or un-SUB-stantiated aspects of the ratings.

He didn't ask which is better or which one I would purchase, he asked the which will be louder. On paper, all things considered equal, the AP should be louder at 1100 watts than that particualr sundown.

I'd personally get the Sundown in a heartbeat over that AP. At the 60% higher price, the fact that he is even looking at the AP, price might be the difference after all - all things considered equal.

Your assessment is just subjective and assumes that we know how one or the other calculates efficiency, and what if both are the opposite of the norm and there is actually a 6 db differential, again. not the questions and in general, the math is correct, theoretically speaker-ing...
Well I posted kippel results for the sundown audiopipe who knows which spec it is. If it's 1w1m then they are essentially the same if it's 2.83v then the audiopipe is less efficient.

And the doubling is only accurate in a lab environment in car you have to consider the difference in inductance and how box rise will affect the outcome. So no we technically cannot compare them one to one and the mathematics don't add up.

That formula is only accurate when referencing the driver back to itself at a set impedance reading

Well I posted kippel results for the sundown audiopipe who knows which spec it is. If it's 1w1m then they are essentially the same if it's 2.83v then the audiopipe is less efficient.

And the doubling is only accurate in a lab environment in car you have to consider the difference in inductance and how box rise will affect the outcome. So no we technically cannot compare them one to one and the mathematics don't add up.

That formula is only accurate when referencing the driver back to itself at a set impedance reading
No disagreement with this either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...