Subs reversed in box - Free Air??

No, it's just inverted. All that really does is give your sub more box volume, better lower end, I don't really think there are any major sound differences...

No, the sub is firing into a sealed (or ported) enclosure. It is called inverting the sub.. When inverting, you have to invert the phase of the sub as well.. (hook the negative wire to the positive amp output, and vise versa.) There is a quick run-down. I will be running my K's inverted.

It allows you to use a slightly smaller enclosure and looks cool.. Other than that there aren't any real advantages or anything.. Free air is more like the 6x9s in the rear deck of a car they face the inside of the car the basket is in the trunk.

Mike

Originally posted by crhye250r No, the sub is firing into a sealed (or ported) enclosure. It is called inverting the sub.. When inverting, you have to invert the phase of the sub as well.. (hook the negative wire to the positive amp output, and vise versa.) There is a quick run-down. I will be running my K's inverted.
this is not true wire the subs exaclty the same as normal. the only time you reverse the terminals is if one sub is mounted normal and the other is inverted and if they share any common internal airspace then you have to reverse the poles on either one of the subs. This is so the excursion will go in the same direction on each sub at the same time, if other wise one is going up away from the box the other is pushing in making it so there is no change in air pressure either inside or outside of the cabinet and as a result, you will barely hear any bass exept the low end produced by the woofer buzzing back and forth.

Originally posted by Grand AMature this is not true wire the subs exaclty the same as normal. the only time you reverse the terminals is if one sub is mounted normal and the other is inverted and if they share any common internal airspace then you have to reverse the poles on either one of the subs. This is so the excursion will go in the same direction on each sub at the same time, if other wise one is going up away from the box the other is pushing in making it so there is no change in air pressure either inside or outside of the cabinet and as a result, you will barely hear any bass exept the low end produced by the woofer buzzing back and forth.
actually, yesterday i installed two inverted jl audio w6's in about a 2 cube box configured two 3 ohms and eating about 350 watts. they freakin slammed harder then they did when i had my w6's mounted normally. but this could be caused by box differences, and wiring differences.

i always revrese my + and - when i invert one sub or two.....if your sub has a cast basket it looks good too....i noticed no difference in loudness or sq....

Originally posted by taylor i always revrese my + and - when i invert one sub or two.....if your sub has a cast basket it looks good too....i noticed no difference in loudness or sq....
as long as the wiring is constant you wont notice any differance in sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.