Sub Recommendation - 2015 Vette Z06

Participant count
  • Participant list

Emsand1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Need sub(s) recommendation. Challenging build 2015 Corvette Z06.

Not an audiophile but I I like it loud with solid highs and impressive lows. 1st thought was a single 12" sub for lower frequencies but some claim 10" subs hit as low. I can build the enclosure.
  • Challenges: Daily driver. Can't interfere with factory targa top storage.
  • Music: Hard rock: 5FDP, I Prevail, Wage War, From Ashes to New, The Amity Affliction. Country/Rap: Jelly Roll, Struggle Jennings, The Lacs Misc: Mix of Rap, Country, Folk, Pop. I LOVE bass heavy music and the 12" powered BIC F-12 sub in my living room let's me hear and feel the bass.
  • Notes: sticking with stock head-unit.
  • Budget: Not strict. The stock Bose system isn't terrible. For sub(s) and its amp, I'm expecting $700 but that isn't the ceiling. I based that on a single 12". It sounds like a DSP would help. I'll almost certainly replace the fronts (stock dual 10" woofers, 3.5, & tweets) and will replace the stock Bose amp with that. All that to say, today's conversation is sub/amp centric but a more expensive solution today that helps the future is welcomed.
Several pics below.
  • Max box width (driver's side to passenger side) 42".
  • Max depth from the floor to roof (with targa top stowed)
    • 6.5" at trunk lid and 8.5" behind seats
SubThump example showing plausible idea:

Mark

Attachments

• SumThump.PNG
    SumThump.PNG
    30.6 KB · Views: 266
I ran a 10 inch diamond audio D6 sub for years, and it hit every bit as low as any 12 I’ve ever owned. I’m into more efficient subs that perform in smaller ported boxes, which is why I chose that particular sub. 1.2 cubes at 33 hz is what I ended up with. Small box, huge sound. I just ordered a Dayton ultimax 10 inch sub off parts express that will be my next project. I’m doing this one in a 4th order band pass box, as it models up in software excellent in a super small bandpass box. I’ve also ran 8 inch subs that get low and nasty. DD and sundown are the most notable, but again, the Dayton ultimax 8 models up great, and shows a flat response way down below 30 hz and would probably be very impressive in a nice enclosure.

i'd recommend crescendo pwx or UN 10s for the doors for your future install. Paired with massive ct2s tweetersand some 3.5 inch dayton midranges. with two pioneer gm 8704 amps, one bridged to 2channel mode for the 10s and the other 4 channel is for midrange and tweeter. All ran active networks

A dayton DSP 408 plus bluetooth dongle is 180$

A single sundown SA 10 on a ported box tuned to 35hz should be good. Most of your music you listed doesnt hit actual low notes at all Barely touches high 30s, low 40s hertz ranges. But if you want a more SQ type of sound signature and subs that work a lot better in smaller boxes, you can do dayton HO 10s. The ultimax models hit low but their box requirement is massive and they are far less efficient than the HOs which are definitely louder than the ultimaxs all around other than the deep lows, i'm talking whale note 25ish hz range which none of your music comes close to in the music recording.

i'd recommend crescendo pwx or UN 10s for the doors for your future install. Paired with massive ct2s tweetersand some 3.5 inch dayton midranges. with two pioneer gm 8704 amps, one bridged to 2channel mode for the 10s and the other 4 channel is for midrange and tweeter. All ran active networks

A dayton DSP 408 plus bluetooth dongle is 180$

A single sundown SA 10 on a ported box tuned to 35hz should be good. Most of your music you listed doesnt hit actual low notes at all Barely touches high 30s, low 40s hertz ranges. But if you want a more SQ type of sound signature and subs that work a lot better in smaller boxes, you can do dayton HO 10s. The ultimax models hit low but their box requirement is massive and they are far less efficient than the HOs which are definitely louder than the ultimaxs all around other than the deep lows, i'm talking whale note 25ish hz range which none of your music comes close to in the music recording.

Top notch advice Jeffdachef!!!!

I went with the Dayton Audio RSS265HO-44 10" 4ohm DVC & JBL Club 5501 amp and am impressed with the sound. 550 watts to the sub and awesome low end. I thought it was solid until I opened my car door while playing and the low end went from solid to freaking outstanding!!!!

I have it in a .6 sealed box until I can figure out a ported box plan that allows targa top storage.

Top notch advice Jeffdachef!!!!

I went with the Dayton Audio RSS265HO-44 10" 4ohm DVC & JBL Club 5501 amp and am impressed with the sound. 550 watts to the sub and awesome low end. I thought it was solid until I opened my car door while playing and the low end went from solid to freaking outstanding!!!!

I have it in a .6 sealed box until I can figure out a ported box plan that allows targa top storage.
Yeah its how the acoustic of a car works. Closed up will be like a sealed box in output. Crack a window or a door you get ported box performance.

I'm back doing research and came across my old post:)

Ended up swapping the .6 cubic foot box for a 34" x 16" x 8" top mount sub and driver's side front port 4" x 4" x 21" and WOW!!!! I thought the sub was solid but the ported box woke that m-fer up!!!! Night and day. I'll never go sealed box again.

Now that I have 2.5 cubes, I'm shopping for the next build. Sticking to a 10" due to the max 10" height but I'm thinking 2k watt Sundown or American Bass 10" and new amp would be a huge jump!

I thought the sub was solid but the ported box woke that m-fer up!!!! Night and day. I'll never go sealed box again.
That's the spirit! Most car audio subs these days are engineered around best performance in ported alignment. 2.5 cube gives you a lot of options for solid 12" woofers. How much are you looking to spend? What sort of amp do you have or are thinking about running? You sure you can't mount a 12"?

2.5 cube is a little on the big side for 10" but something like DD95 or other critically over-damped 10" could really take advantage of that (think DD9510 or similar).

I’d have to get creative with a max box height of 10”. Vette hatchback with Targa top storage.

Front or Rear facing sub requires an angled face. Top mount is limited to 8.5” max depth.

Current amp is JBL mono 550 watts @ 2ohms. I’d probably relegate it to the bench and go Taramp. Originally felt like $600 could work for sub/amp. Not sure the Vette electrical is up to par and I still need to consider a new amp for the mids/highs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.