Sub help

Participant count
  • Participant list

lonesometree

CarAudio.com Newbie
wv
Hooked up system in my sons truck last winter. Pioneer avg 4800bs head unit, JL 10" in sealed under seat truck box and 1200 watt boss amp. All stuff I had left over from other cars over the years. Worked and sounded great. Last week his sub stopped. I walked him through some troubleshooting over the phone. He replaced speaker wire and it was playing again. 4 days later it was out. All weekend and into tonight I have done everything I can think of to remedy. But now I'm at a loss... I ran new ground, power and trigger to the amp. I tried 2 different amps. I changed brand new rca cables. I took sub and box to anther car and hooked up to make sure it worked. I even bought a brand new head unit. All of the other speakers are powered by the head unit and work fine. Are the preamp hookups on the unit internally fused? Could they have failed and then caused the brand new unit to fail also?? I'm lost. Ugh.

I'm not really clear on your troubleshooting. It sounds like you checked everything. If you have door speakers playing right, your head unit is working and narrows it down to your preouts to sub.

If you have a multimeter, check the resistance on the sub, (there $6 at Harbor). If the coil(s) read the correct ohm it's not the sub. Check the resistance of the sub speaker wire disconnected at the amp terminal end.

If you hook up your multimeter to the sub amp's speaker outputs you can check AC voltage. Which would mean you have power, ground, and signal.

Preamp outputs are not fused individually.

Sub Model #? Amp make and model#? How did you wire the sub tto the amp? What Ohm load is the final load? My step #1 wouuld be to remove the sub from the enclosure and bench test it with a DMM to see if the Coil/Coils read within Limitations and to see if there is any coil damage or other visual issues of the sub. Its possible the sub has been clipped do death and met it limitations, and will need to be replaced

Sub Model #? Amp make and model#? How did you wire the sub tto the amp? What Ohm load is the final load? My step #1 wouuld be to remove the sub from the enclosure and bench test it with a DMM to see if the Coil/Coils read within Limitations and to see if there is any coil damage or other visual issues of the sub. Its possible the sub has been clipped do death and met it limitations, and will need to be replaced
Ok I'll try that. The sun works in one of my other cars when hooked up though. I'm stumped. Thanks for the reply.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...