Running 16 Volt battery(ies) on a daily setup

SMFJ
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm in the process of building my third system, but it's going to be my first REAL SYSTEM. I'm limited on space for the simple fact it's a daily driver. I'd like to have 16 Volts running to all my amplifiers for maximum power efficiency. That being said I know my alternator will have to be charging at 18+ Volts. I have a 1999 Oldsmobile 88 and I'm wondering will the 16 volt battery(ies) fry the factory systems? If I were to keep the standard car components on a 12volt battery would the 18 volts from the alternator fry that battery and possibly the electronics I intend on protecting? I've seen some 12/16 volt batteries would I still be able to charge the 12 volt section with the same 18 volts from the alternator or would I need a second regulator for. All logical and helpful input will be appreciated.

Dont do 16v for a daily setup. Ive been there. It was a pain. The proper way to do it is get a bracket made and run a 12v alternator and a 16v alternator. The 16v for the stereo, the 12v for the car.

Ive ran big setups on 12v and 18v. For a daily, music groundpounder, 12v is the way to go.

Dont do 16v for a daily setup. Ive been there. It was a pain. The proper way to do it is get a bracket made and run a 12v alternator and a 16v alternator. The 16v for the stereo, the 12v for the car.

Ive ran big setups on 12v and 18v. For a daily, music groundpounder, 12v is the way to go.
Good response, i just gt my mechman and am in process of converting to 16v gonna run a taramps bass 5k on my 2 Solo X 12s rated 2k ea. rms.

Good response, i just gt my mechman and am in process of converting to 16v gonna run a taramps bass 5k on my 2 Solo X 12s rated 2k ea. rms.

12 year old post you are quoting...

really.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...