Sub cuts out at certain volume and not sure why??

Participant count
  • Participant list
Ok i have had this issue for a long time and i cannot figure out how to fix it. I have a single alpine type r 12" and a brand new alpine m1000 mono amp with a brand new 4 gauge wiring kit with it. I used to have an alpine m500 and was told that the amp sub wasnt getting enough power and was overriding the amp so the bass would kick out. Now that i have upgraded, i still have the same problem only now double the watts. I am grounded directly to the body of my truck. The wire loop thingy is tight against shiny metal with a nice shiny washer on top with a brand new shiny screw going into the frame. I need help figuring out why my sub cuts out and then turns back on at low volume. All help is appreciated. Thanks.

How do i know for sure how it is wired? I very well could be wrong but i would like to know how to fix it. I have looked at the12volt.com and i copied the diagram the way it showed for 4 ohms

Just check it, and eliminate that so there is no questions that the wiring is the problem. I've looked at stuff for hours because I said, naw it can't be that and then it wound up the opposite.

Ok i will double check it in the morning. But i definately want this fixed. Way too much money for it too not work. The light on my last amp used to dim when the bass would hit. It only dims a tiny bit now but still kicks out until you turn it down.

first off buy a DMM(digital multi meter). this is one of the single most important tools to have when dealing with car audio. even if its a dirt cheap DMM you buy, its better than nothing.

using the dmm, check the impedance (ohms) At the wires coming off the voice coils. if your really running them series, your meter will read @ or around 4 ohms. if you accidentally ran them parallel you read @ or near 1 ohm.

if you feel your pulling some power and you ave dimming, its not wired @ 4 ohms as the amp does 600rms @ 4 ohms and the current you would be pulling @ 600 watts would be roughly 45 amps.

i would start by verifying you 100% correct about the voice coil impedance, and that it wired correctly. secondly i would set you gains correctly, as over driving an amp by using gain as a volume knob, will cause overheating of the amp and will eventually fry your voice coils on your sub due to clipping. verify all power connections are good including remote, ground, main power coming from battery. check all wiring on subs to make sure there are no frays contacting other wires @ the amp and voice coil.

this is the way they need to be connected.

single-woofer-dual-2-ohm-voice-coils-_voice-coils-wired-in-series.jpg

Thank you guys for your help but i figured it out. I went back to the battery and decided to clean up my (+) battery terminal. Turns out that under the clamp was a whole bunch of mold and corrosive material that was preventing the clamp from getting a good power supply. There was also a metal washer that was just adding to the distance the power had to travel. I removed the washer and thoroughly scraped and cleaned the terminal. I hooked it back up and it worked. It no longer cuts out and finally is loud //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.