Strange Subwofer Issue

K that is parallel (those wires are too thin btw). If both subs are internally paralleled, you're running a 1ohm final load. That amp will put out around 180w at 2 ohms and it isn't 1ohm stable! You need a good 1ohm stable amp.
Yes, your best bet is to wire them for a 4 ohm load.

That's a good call on the DMM to check the load. You can get a cheap one from Harbor Freight, if you have one near you. Or you can order it online and it works great for tuning your amps, too. This is the one I bought: Digital Multimeter - 7 Function, w/ Backlight
Yeah I got mine from HF for 3 bucks. Can't beat that for quick readings.

The reason this setup kills it is because the other sub would only go down to 2ohms where the amp is stable and it will give (slightly) more power to 1 sub. Now that you have 2 of those though, it halfed the ohm load and shares that small amount of power.

Ok, I appreciate the help. I'll try rewiring the subs when I get home later.
Cool, man. Good luck. If you want some reccos on a more suited amp for those, we can help you there, too. I bet you could get one for 100-150 that would do nicely. For reference, my dvc 2ohm sub is rated for 600 and i had 4 ohm load going to an amp giving it 150 watts max and it was never turned up all the way, but it still worked fairly well. I bought the amp off CL for like 75 bucks.

Well, I don't know how much of a difference it would make, but I just went to my car and only hooked that one sub up to the amp therefore putting it back to a 2 ohm load like the other was originally setup. It still has the same sort of noise.

Only one of them is doing that? Test each one separately and make sure it is only one of them. You might have something broken or loose mechanically in the bad sub. Might have to be exchanged.

We were telling you about the amp because it is kind of something you need to do regardless. For 150 bucks you can get an amp that does 1000w at 1ohm.

Yes, only the one new sub is having the problem with the noise. I know I need another sub because this one is not strong enough, I just wanted to get the noise issue resolved. The guy i bought the amp from said it was brand new and that he took it out of the box to test it and he said he didn't experience this issue with the sub.

Wait... so you have a new sub and an older model sub in the same box? they are the same voicecoil config?

you say you need another sub because this on is not strong enough.. which are you talking about? the older one?

And they guy you bought the amp from said that the amp didn't make that noise with his sub?

It is most likely the subwoofer that needs replacing/exchanging but could you take some more pics of the setup? I really want to get a grasp of everything you are running. I am under the impression that you are running 2 different model subwoofers.

I meant to get a new amp not sub sorry. Two subs, new model and old model, both Alpine 1243D. The guy said the new sub I bought was not having this issue with his amp. Sorry, at working trying to do too many things at once. New one is on the left, old one on the right. Yes the new one is upside down, didn't realize it until after i put it in. Yes it's very unprofessional, but it was a quick setup to test if it worked.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg603/mhsnolie08/67F2AFE7-9168-463E-A4F8-BE10328FEC8F.jpg

Lemme get that for you

67F2AFE7-9168-463E-A4F8-BE10328FEC8F.jpg

don't worry about the install just yet, it isn't much of a problem. Alright one problem I can see besides the amp *******, Is that both of those subs are not divided because it is a ported box. This can cause a lot of issue if the subs are moving a lot. First of all, the new one is probably tighter. They are both entirely different subs with different internal parts/designs and different specs. You are going to get cancellation from both subs sharing an enclosure and but not moving exactly the same. This could potentially cause premature wear/damage to them if they are being pushed hard. 2nd problem is that with all of the clipping that you are most likely getting from the amp, you could have damaged the new one which would have a tight suspension and wouldn't be worn in. This could tear softparts and cause that rattling. What you should do now is take the new subwoofer out of the box and visually inspect the inside of the sub where the cone meets the spider. move the cone outward with your fingers pushing against the inside of the cone to inspect it.

They will "work" but won't perform optimally. They don't have the same T/S parameters so they will try to do different things at the same time and make eachother suffer. You should never mix equipment. Always use matching speakers if they are geared for a single purpose.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.