Strange Subwofer Issue

mhsnolie08
10+ year member

I just purchased a new Alpine SWR 1243D and a new custom built alpine vented enclosure, at the bottom is the specifications for the enclosure. I had previously owned an Alpine SWR 1243D subwoofer that was in its own vented enclosure and it worked fine with the same amplifier. I took my old alpine and put it with the new one that I have purchased. The issue is that only the new one that I have is making a strange rattling sound when the amp is turned up. I have a Boss Audio Nx1800.1 1800W Mono Block Amplifier. I have been doing some research about this issue with the noise the subwoofer is making and I'm not real sure of the noise that I am experiencing. Two common terms I have seen are bottoming out and clipping. I just don't see how either of these could be the issue as it's only applying to one subwoofer and not both. I have an 08 Honda Civic with the factory head unit, I just used a LOC to connect the amp. I'm hoping it's a simple setup and not a messed up speaker because I don't want to have to return the sub. Below I have attached some additional pictures to show wiring setup and the setup of my system.

Dimensions:35"W x 14.75"H x 15.25"D

Cut out diameter:11 1/16"

Mounting depth:13"

Cubic Air Space:1.65 Per chamber or woofer

Tuned at 40HZ

Holds two 12" woofers

Constructed in premium 3/4" MDF

Those subs are rated for 300-600 watts and that amp puts out ~288 watts max, so you are severely under-powering them. That said, it should affect both subs equally and it just wouldn't be super loud. I assume you have them wired for a 4 ohm load?

2_4ohm_dvc_4ohm.gif

Check this diagram and make sure it's wired correctly. You may have a loose wire or something.

That's correct, I have two of them, but the way the enclosure is made I cannot connect the subs together internally within the enclosure without running the wire through the middle of the vent. So I just wired them individually and connected them outside the enclosure before the amp.

Hmm, how are you doing that? The amp only has one set of speaker terminals? Can you take a pic of your wiring setup to the amp and indicate how they are wired to the speakers?

So the enclosure has a divider in the middle im assuming.

Okay so you believe that each is internally wired down to 2 ohms. Then you are paralleling them to 1? or are you wiring series outside the box to jump them to 4? That amp isn't worth a crap so if you have the gain up enough to push the subs, you're clipping the fuuudge out of them. Check each subwoofer at their terminal at the box with a digital multimeter to see what they are actually wired to (since you don't want to take them out of the box to check).

I don't mind taking the subs out to rewire them, but it seems strange that one sub would work fine with the setup and the other would clip. It seems to me that both would be having the same problem if the amp were the issue.

So the enclosure has a divider in the middle im assuming.
Okay so you believe that each is internally wired down to 2 ohms. Then you are paralleling them to 1? or are you wiring series outside the box to jump them to 4? That amp isn't worth a crap so if you have the gain up enough to push the subs, you're clipping the fuuudge out of them. Check each subwoofer at their terminal at the box with a digital multimeter to see what they are actually wired to (since you don't want to take them out of the box to check).
That's a good call on the DMM to check the load. You can get a cheap one from Harbor Freight, if you have one near you. Or you can order it online and it works great for tuning your amps, too. This is the one I bought: Digital Multimeter - 7 Function, w/ Backlight

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.