SQ component choices/options...

off topic, but why did ur 6's sound better than the ZR's?

I own Utopia's and Im not happy with the midrange/midbass, the tweets are so strong. I was looking for a change also.

I own Utopia's and Im not happy with the midrange/midbass, the tweets are so strong. I was looking for a change also.
yeah the tweets are pretty harsh. have you tried deadning your door?

the tweets in the Z's were a little bit smoother than the tweets in the ZR's, and i think that's where boston's AMD stuff kicks in and smoothes out the response curve. the midbass in the boston's blew the jl's out of the water. them things kick hard, and i did absolutely no sound deadening in my doors! granted that was in a jetta, and them things are completely sealed up on their own, but the zr's were in a jetta of the same year so it was an even comparison between the two. the midrange was a lot more pronounced, snare hits just had that 'snap' that rings out, and vocals were just outstanding with both. the bostons just had a darker, more defined sound, while the jl's seemed to be a bit more 'airy'. now i'm not saying the jl's sounded bad by any means, they sounded fantastic. but an A/B comparison between them and the boston Z6's, i'd take the Z6's without hesitation.

honestly, i've heard and installed CDT's and really have not been impressed with them. they seem to lack the warm, natural sound i'm looking for, and they start to add color when you crank up the volume. i'm really not a fan of the polk's, again they just don't sound right. i've been a musician for many years, and know what instruments are supposed to sound like, and when they're being colored by a driver, which is why i am so particular on the sound. i'm gonna listen to the new z's on monday

Is that $1000 for just the comps or for the comps and PDX amp?

If just the comps, how about the Rainbow Power Line CS? You can get them from one of the dealers on here for just under $1000 shipped. You'll need lots of mounting depth, however. Bridge the amp and throw them 250+ wrms pc. They'll take it like a champ (and maybe even beg for a little more).

If you do not like the Polk SR or CDT stuff you are going to need to head up the food chain.

Dynaudio, Rainbow, Seas Lotus, Scan-Speak ala Alpine F1, Hertz, Morel, New JBL comps just to name some to take a look at. Look into going DIY also. They are going to cost you. You are getting into the 700+ range at that point. So if spending $1000 on just comps that is where I would start looking.

honestly, i've heard and installed CDT's and really have not been impressed with them. they seem to lack the warm, natural sound i'm looking for, and they start to add color when you crank up the volume. i'm really not a fan of the polk's, again they just don't sound right. i've been a musician for many years, and know what instruments are supposed to sound like, and when they're being colored by a driver, which is why i am so particular on the sound. i'm gonna listen to the new z's on monday
Did you listen to Polks lower end lines or actually there SR line? Reason I as it because I had Boston Pro's and also Kicker SS comps. The Polks I have now are the most natural and realistic sounding speakers I have heard.

the tweets in the Z's were a little bit smoother than the tweets in the ZR's, and i think that's where boston's AMD stuff kicks in and smoothes out the response curve. the midbass in the boston's blew the jl's out of the water. them things kick hard, and i did absolutely no sound deadening in my doors! granted that was in a jetta, and them things are completely sealed up on their own, but the zr's were in a jetta of the same year so it was an even comparison between the two. the midrange was a lot more pronounced, snare hits just had that 'snap' that rings out, and vocals were just outstanding with both. the bostons just had a darker, more defined sound, while the jl's seemed to be a bit more 'airy'. now i'm not saying the jl's sounded bad by any means, they sounded fantastic. but an A/B comparison between them and the boston Z6's, i'd take the Z6's without hesitation.
hey thanks for the comparison. Ive heard the ZR's in a chevy truck with the tweets in the doors and they sounded incredible compared to my Utopia's (tweet molded in A-pillar, firing at each other, in a dodge truck). both trucks are sound deadened.

I wanna hear the Boston Z's now. I really need the midbass to shine, the tweets are so harsh in my truck. too IN UR FACE sounding, maybe because the tweets are up high closer to my head. I dunno. Im only running front stage and 10w7 in a regular cab.

My setup sounds good, but Ive heard some competition SQ vehicles that have sounded AMAZING! so life-like with so much depth, I could picture the instruments and singer on the dash, like an acoustic hologram or somethin. unbelievable SQ.

SORRY DIDNT MEAN TO HIJACK THE THREAD, I just like to learn.

well, i've heard a new set of the boston spz's... i'm sold. it is exactly what i'm looking for. looks like they're a bit mroe expensive than the old z6's, but appears to be worth it. i'll let you know when i get 'em put in within the next couple weeks.

well, i've heard a new set of the boston spz's... i'm sold. it is exactly what i'm looking for. looks like they're a bit mroe expensive than the old z6's, but appears to be worth it. i'll let you know when i get 'em put in within the next couple weeks.
I'm actually curious about the SPZ's vs. Z6's. How much power were they being fed? What were the differences? Likes, Dislikes, etc. etc. Might be putting a set in a vehicle in a month or two.

Im currently in the process of installin my Hi-Energies. Their made by Hertz, which is Audisons speaker line. Ive only heard em in a demo room, but strong midbass and smooth tweets. And if you want something even better i heard the Mille(sp?) lines is even better.
I've been using the 2 way Hertz Hi-Energies for about a month now and i love them. They are smooth and never overbearing on the ear. I can listen for hours and enjoy every bit of it. They're beautiful speakers for the money and the 3 ways are even better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.