Speaker mounting, 1986 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dead Reckon
10+ year member

So I was securing the spare tire on the back of '86 Olds Custom Cruiser, as I regularly have to do, it likes to come loose, and I decided to take a peek at how the rear sail speakers are mounted since I am going to replace them.

They use a basket mount, they are 4x10's, and I am not sure if I can fit aftermarkets there without making some custom brackets, which is pretty much beyond my very limited fabrication skills.

So yeah, anyone got experience with this?

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Dead-Reckon/1986%20oldsmobile%20custom%20cruiser%202012/100_2322.jpg

The only thing with tabs like that are Boss audio speakers, and those are arguably worse than stock. I wanted to put a set of Kicker KS410's back there but I dunno if they will fit.

4x10 speakers are very hard to run by especially a decent set. if you are set on a 4x10, i'd go with kicker. if you want to open up the options, get a 4x10 to 6x9 adapter so you can look into a decent set of 6x9s

back in the day we would top mount the new speakers - which meant cutting a hole for the speaker where the perforated cardboard is. that allowed more depth, a flashier grill, and we could use 8/32 bolts and nuts to hold the speaker down with.

i say back in the day because 4x10's were popular with GM cars in the 80's. I had several early 80's cars with them... but i did things like this to those cars

Malibu_RearSpeakers.jpg

that pic was 1998... i still have that Alpine component set...

Nice surface mount job, looks clean, not factory but clean. I was thinking of getting a set of shallow prefab 6x9 boxes and mounting 'em to the rear sails. Just run screws through the speaker holes in the plastic back there so I don't cause much damage.

Was thinking these boxes and speakers:

Kicker KS693 6" x 9" 3-way KS Car Speakers (11KS693)

Ground Shaker SQ 6X9-GRAY (sq6x9-gray) 6 x 9" Single Square

Alternatively, here's a few ideas, and be honest what you think about them.

Alright so, since it's a station wagon the mid seat folds down, I was thinking of attaching a pair of 6x9 boxes too that aswell as a small 10" sub box, so when I lay it flat, I just have to make sure the wires don't snag, and they wind up facing the seat, so I can still use cargo space, but I have speakers back there too.

Also, I was thinking, since I'm gonna make this wagon into a panel wagon, I could flush mount those boxes just about anywhere in the back, I'll use some floor colored carpet on them, just yank off the carpet that comes with them, I have to source new carpet for my car anyway.

Also, side note, if I had a sedan with a rear deck I'd just use some of those 4x10 to 6x9 adapters they have now, don't have that luxury though.

And Plan C is that I cut holes in the tailgate, see if I can put some in and not interfere with the window or excessive rattling. Worse case I could cut holes and put in some 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" speakers in the tailgate. Get some universal speaker grills, some dye or paint in the same shade of tan as the interior, presto.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.