Speaker/general suggestions

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi everyone. I am fairly new to the car audio game, but not to audio in general. I am a jazz/blues musician, so my listening consists of mostly straight ahead and modern jazz, blues, funk, motown, and the occasional hip-hop/other. In other words, I am looking for SQ enitirely, but still want to hear it loud and strong, possibly a tad excessive on the low end.

I have ordered a JVC MP3 head unit (the 707 - about $250 at sounddomain) and plan to mount my laptop (detachably, of course) in the van (plugged into the 1/8 in phono on my head) for watching DVDs, VCDs, and for running visualizations and sound processing (although it's a stock laptop sound card for now, so I don't expect very good sound from it). Because of this, I'd also like to have some strong bass reinforcement for theater-like sound while relaxing in the back watching a movie.

My factory speaker locations are:

2 6.5s in the front doors

2 component tweeters (unsure of size) in the front doors

2 6.5s on the rear doors (facing the front)

2 4x6s on the rear pillars (also facing front)

I would like to make use of these locations as much as possible. I am looking for any/all suggestions for good sounding speakers/setups. My head unit is 50x4 (in other words, 19 watts RMS on each of 4 channels). Would there be any way to run my high and mid speakers from that, or will I need to buy amps, etc. My head unit has 3 sets of preamp outs (front rear and sub I assume). Will I still need crossovers or can I rely on the head? My budget (in my pocket) right now is only around $200 after the head unit, but I am working 2 jobs all summer (I'm a college student) and am more than willing to save much more money to put into good sound. Thanks for your suggestions.

run comps up front... i wouldnt run any mids behind you... some ppl would to achieve more db but it dont sound right...

-i suggest some infinity kappa 6.5 " comps (about 75 w rms) these are enuf sound you wont need more in back (these u can get if ur lucky for about 125-150)

-dont run anything off ur deck - get an amp 25 w x 4 bridgable for the comps

-get subs for the rear and a 2 chan amp or somethin and u want to try to equal out the spl

The infinity kappa comps seem a little pricey to me, and reviews I read aren't all in favor of them. Do you guys have any suggestions for comps (6.5 or 7 in. and tweets) that would sound good in a jazz/blues/funk type of setting, and would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $150? Any brand preferences or speaker construction preferences? I'm looking at Crystal CPe 60s right now, but I really am at a loss. Thanks for your help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.