Speaker Fitment Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

james_98188

Greetings, new member here.

I've a speaker fitment issue I'm hoping you can help me with. I've a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, in which I've replaced the factory double DIN stereo with a single DIN Kenwood KDC-X991. As the Kenwood isn't compatible with the factory speakers, I'm replacing the door speakers with Boston Pro60 SE 6 3/4" component speakers, and the rear side panel speakers with Polk DB501 5" Coaxials. I won't be using or replacing the factory tweeters and subwoofers at this time.

The rear factory speakers had a cardboard ring - or spacer - kinda like a 3 1/4inch dia tube just 1/8" long, that fit between the speaker and the plastic side interior panel.

As I'm having to mount the replacement speaker deeper into the side panel space because of the center tweeter sticking out more, that 1/8" space has grown to 1/4". (I want to retain the factory look, and would rather not cut the side panel.) Do I need to fill that space? And, if so, with what? Like a foam ring or something? Some kind of spacer? A foam ring might make sense as it won't vibrate against the side panel, but does it make sense acoustically? Are such things commercially available? Or, any tips on how to fabricate them?

109 Views and no responses?

As I'm having to mount the replacement speaker deeper into the side panel space because of the center tweeter sticking out more, that 1/8" space has grown to 1/4". (I want to retain the factory look, and would rather not cut the side panel.) Do I need to fill that space? And, if so, with what? Like a foam ring or something? Some kind of spacer? A foam ring might make sense as it won't vibrate against the side panel, but does it make sense acoustically? Are such things commercially available? Or, any tips on how to fabricate them?

Wow, 158 views and still no responses.

Okay, never mind, I think I've got it figured out. I'll fabricate a 1/8" hardwood speaker spacer which will attach to the new speaker using the same crews that'll attach it to its mounting bracket. Then I'll get some foam rubber/plastic, use a hole cutter to cut a 2 9/16 hole in it, and glue it to the spacer. The foam will rest up and compress against the backside of the interior panel when installed to prevent any rattling. Live long and prosper.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.