Speaker dying every 9 months w/odd symptoms

Participant count
  • Participant list

kiteman

dallas
Hi all,

I have a 2012 Camaro with a very unique and frustrating audio problem and came here for some help, but please bear with me it may be a little long…

I first changed out my stock amp to a PPI 900.4 using a harness made by a small company called subthump. This allowed me to Plug N Play into the stock amp harness and have the necessary outputs to hook up the new amp without cutting wires. I also required a LOC for my RCA cables. I retained the stock HU and speakers at this time, and the only speakers in the setup were two front 6.5 w/tweeters and two rear 6x9. This worked fine with no issues for 3 years. Last February I decided to disconnect my rear speakers and bridge the channel on the amp and add a 10” sub. Shortly after this is when I started noticing problems.

In about May of last year my driver’s side (stock) speaker began to exhibit some odd symptoms. It would crackle a lot (like a loose connection), it would completely stop working momentarily, cut in and out if I hit bumps, and if I turned the radio off entirely you could hear engine whine through the speakers. Actually at first as the car warmed up and I drove longer, the problem would dissipate. After 1-2 months symptoms got worse and the speaker died.

I then replaced it with a Pioneer component, and it worked fine until January of this year. Same symptoms ensue, speaker dies (I checked speaker on the passenger side channel and it was definitely dead). This is now happening again on my third speaker—so far the speaker is still working, but it is getting worse. This is only happening to the driver’s side speaker.

As for personal diagnosis...at first I thought clipping, but asked myself if there is only one gain knob for two front speakers then how come one would clip and the other wouldn’t? I also thought bad ground from engine whine, but I haven’t changed my ground since I installed the amp, and it worked fine for 3 years? But clipping is the only of those two problems that would kill the speaker I think? Perhaps the sub install was a coincidence, or it has something to do with this (although not sure how since it is on a different channel)? My only other ideas go towards a) the amp is malfunctioning and sending a clipped signal to one speaker, or b) somehow the LOC is a culprit and possibly doing the same, or c) the subthump harness I bought is somehow at fault.

Otherwise, I’m completely clueless! Sorry for the winded post, but if anyone has a guess or ideas, please let me know. Thank you so much.

noise can get into system from anywhere amp is connected so any speaker wire sub whatever., i had radio not work when installed a amp replaced with same model amp radio worked.. best suggestion is get a sub amp, rip out factory amp problem will probably go away but u never know..

Probably a problem with the sub or amp. Switch left and right RCAs into the amp and see what happens or keep them as they are and switch left and right from the amp to the speakers. Should help narrow things down.

Probably a problem with the sub or amp. Switch left and right RCAs into the amp and see what happens or keep them as they are and switch left and right from the amp to the speakers. Should help narrow things down.
You were spot on. I switched the left and right RCAs and the problem went away. Turned the car on and switched them back, problem was back. I drove around a little while too and the issue never appeared. If it's taking 9 months to show up, whatever the problem is, in switching the L/R I wouldn't have expected to immediately here the noises on the passenger side, either.

So...from here I guess it can only be a few things:

1. Bad RCA Cable (singular, just one side of them); but seeing as the problem takes a while to appear, this seems like an unlikely option?

2. Bad amp, for some reason it's sending a more powerful signal to the left side, clipping the speaker that eventually kills it?

3. Bad subthump harness...some odd wiring going faulty after a long period of time?

4. Could the LOC be a problem at all?

5. ??? I'm really not sure where to go from here/what else could it be?

Thanks for helping me narrow it down.

You were spot on. I switched the left and right RCAs and the problem went away. Turned the car on and switched them back, problem was back. I drove around a little while too and the issue never appeared. If it's taking 9 months to show up, whatever the problem is, in switching the L/R I wouldn't have expected to immediately here the noises on the passenger side, either.
So...from here I guess it can only be a few things:

1. Bad RCA Cable (singular, just one side of them); but seeing as the problem takes a while to appear, this seems like an unlikely option?

2. Bad amp, for some reason it's sending a more powerful signal to the left side, clipping the speaker that eventually kills it?

3. Bad subthump harness...some odd wiring going faulty after a long period of time?

4. Could the LOC be a problem at all?

5. ??? I'm really not sure where to go from here/what else could it be?

Thanks for helping me narrow it down.
I'd expect either the amp or LOC. My guess is the amp. They're cheap for a reason and a buggy amp could be sending DC voltage to one channel. That would burn up speakers fast.

Ideally you borrow known working amp from a friend to test or you could use ipod or phone and headphone to RCA plug as a source to the amp to bypass the LOC.

I'd expect either the amp or LOC. My guess is the amp. They're cheap for a reason and a buggy amp could be sending DC voltage to one channel. That would burn up speakers fast.
Ideally you borrow known working amp from a friend to test or you could use ipod or phone and headphone to RCA plug as a source to the amp to bypass the LOC.
After I read this I got to thinking and realized I had two LOCs installed--one for the front channel and one for the sub channel. So then I just decided to unplug the sub completely and use that LOC for the front channel to see if the problem persisted. If it didn't persist, then the LOC is probably to blame. And guess what? The other LOC did not reproduce any of the issues I was having before, so I guess most likely I've concluded it's the LOC. Luckily that is a very easy and cheap thing to replace even with a slight hope it is the culprit, but I feel pretty good about this one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks again for the help!

After I read this I got to thinking and realized I had two LOCs installed--one for the front channel and one for the sub channel. So then I just decided to unplug the sub completely and use that LOC for the front channel to see if the problem persisted. If it didn't persist, then the LOC is probably to blame. And guess what? The other LOC did not reproduce any of the issues I was having before, so I guess most likely I've concluded it's the LOC. Luckily that is a very easy and cheap thing to replace even with a slight hope it is the culprit, but I feel pretty good about this one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Thanks again for the help!
Good luck.

Process of elimination, if the problem continues after replacing the LOC it's the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.