Soundqubed hds215 box decisions

seedlings

Senior VIP Member
In a 2000 Montero Sport, powered by an Alpine MRP M500, the planning process has begun for the box. There will be roughly 3.75 ft3 (or exactly that, if needed) space available. Could fudge up to 4.5 if that would make an extreme difference (10dB+). The Soundqubed site has recommendations that include a 3.75 ft3 ported with 60 in2 port area, 19" long, and I can certainly do this. Site doesn't say that box is specifically for THIS sub, and also doesn't list the tuning freq. The sub has an FS of 36 Hz, so the port tuning freq would need to be higher than 36Hz, right? This means reduced performance in the bottom octave below 40Hz?

Box size chart:

Box Sizes and Tuning

The other option is sealed, and technically this Fs=36.34 and Qes=.895 divide out to a "sealed recommendation" from:

Sealed or Ported Enclosure Calculator

I am not an SPL hound, not competing, just want a fun system to listen to electronic, synth, rock, metal. Not so into rap, but do like bass.

Would the 3.75 ft3 ported box from the Soundqubed be best, or sealed, or a different box?

Thanks for your insight!

CHAD

***edit: if this should be in the Enclosure 101 forum, mods please move.

In a 2000 Montero Sport, powered by an Alpine MRP M500, the planning process has begun for the box. There will be roughly 3.75 ft3 (or exactly that, if needed) space available. Could fudge up to 4.5 if that would make an extreme difference (10dB+). The Soundqubed site has recommendations that include a 3.75 ft3 ported with 60 in2 port area, 19" long, and I can certainly do this. Site doesn't say that box is specifically for THIS sub, and also doesn't list the tuning freq. The sub has an FS of 36 Hz, so the port tuning freq would need to be higher than 36Hz, right? This means reduced performance in the bottom octave below 40Hz?Box size chart:

Box Sizes and Tuning

The other option is sealed, and technically this Fs=36.34 and Qes=.895 divide out to a "sealed recommendation" from:

Sealed or Ported Enclosure Calculator

I am not an SPL hound, not competing, just want a fun system to listen to electronic, synth, rock, metal. Not so into rap, but do like bass.

Would the 3.75 ft3 ported box from the Soundqubed be best, or sealed, or a different box?

Thanks for your insight!

CHAD

***edit: if this should be in the Enclosure 101 forum, mods please move.
Tune below 36. Will be more musical.

3.73 is fine but use an aeroport tune to 35 for your musical tastes. A round port is needed because if you use a slot port, you will be around 2.7-3.0 after port and subwoofer displacement.

Per my conversation with the SoundQubed tech, I'll be going with approx 3.25 ft^3 enclosure tuned to 32Hz with a 4" port 7.25" long. Subject to change. As you said, any larger box requires a jump up in port size, with considerable length. SoundQubed recommends (box volume * 16) = square inches of port area (+/- 10%), and 4" diameter is just a shade under that recommendation.

Driver only takes up 0.11 ft^3 of space. I thought it would be like twice that.

CHAD

That sounds reasonable and should do well for you. The driver displacement is probably correct, usually .2 is a good estimate for most speakers, the hdc215 don't have huge motors, so the fact they are a bit smaller than usual isnt' suprsising. I think even my NSV3 is only .3 or so and it's motor is massive, bigger than most subwoofers lol.

Per my conversation with the SoundQubed tech, I'll be going with approx 3.25 ft^3 enclosure tuned to 32Hz with a 4" port 7.25" long. Subject to change. As you said, any larger box requires a jump up in port size, with considerable length. SoundQubed recommends (box volume * 16) = square inches of port area (+/- 10%), and 4" diameter is just a shade under that recommendation.
Driver only takes up 0.11 ft^3 of space. I thought it would be like twice that.

CHAD
3.25*16 = 52

4* 3.14 = 12.56, no where near 52 lol. Normally want to use a 6 inch for a 15" sub.

You will experience port compression and port noise with a 4" port.

You might feel the need to add more power later on if you want it louder since its a smaller box.

That sub models absolutely terribly in a ported box. It won't sound "musical" no matter what you do.

It actually looks fairly decent for sealed or IB applications (though I'd like to see FS a little lower for IB)

That sub models absolutely terribly in a ported box. It won't sound "musical" no matter what you do.
It actually looks fairly decent for sealed or IB applications (though I'd like to see FS a little lower for IB)
Yes, that's why I asked the questions. I just figured maybe this is what everyone deals with!

3.25*16 = 52
4* 3.14 = 12.56, no where near 52 lol. Normally want to use a 6 inch for a 15" sub.

You will experience port compression and port noise with a 4" port.

You might feel the need to add more power later on if you want it louder since its a smaller box.
Crap. You're right... Need an 8" port, not 4! R squared, not D... This is why I am trying to think through beforehand. I have room though.

CHAD

Yes, that's why I asked the questions. I just figured maybe this is what everyone deals with!

Crap. You're right... Need an 8" port, not 4! R squared, not D... This is why I am trying to think through beforehand. I have room though.

CHAD

Soundqubed isn't giving you engineering, design, or a good sounding product. They're giving you a woofer that is reliable and will get loud (for the money). Their HDC series are DD knockoffs and perform well (if you like that style of sub... I do FWIW), but I suspect what passes for R&D is to tell their Chinese buildhouse how much power it should handle, the cost per unit, and what color it'll be.

Naught for nothing but in that tier, Kicker, Alpine, or JBL would make a good sounding sub.

As bad as it models, I'd think you'd do just as well to use the spec box as opposed to trying to tune to 32. If you don't listen to pipe organs or slowed "music" you will do better tuning higher.... this will save you a ton of volume that would be eaten by port as well.

CHAD
Its an aero port, you dont need as much port area as a slot port. A 6 is fine for music. An 8 or bigger is more for spl competitions/burp boxes. For your music genre, you dont need to tune low like high spls said.

Its an aero port, you dont need as much port area as a slot port. A 6 is fine for music. An 8 or bigger is more for spl competitions/burp boxes. For your music genre, you dont need to tune low like high spls said.
With all this hassle the enclosure may as well be sealed... I won't know any different. Besides I'm going to do one side of the enclosure with fiberglass so it fits snug to the side and uses the least floorspace. This means it will be pretty hard to know the real airspace for calculating. I thought about filling the finished enclosure with packaging peanuts, then dumping those into a box easier to measure the volume. A buddy if mine does fiberglass for an industrial boom lift manufacturer. He'll keep me on track.

The difference between sealed and ported for this particular sub is a 6db bump around 40Hz. I can live without that!

CHAD

With all this hassle the enclosure may as well be sealed... I won't know any different. Besides I'm going to do one side of the enclosure with fiberglass so it fits snug to the side and uses the least floorspace. This means it will be pretty hard to know the real airspace for calculating. I thought about filling the finished enclosure with packaging peanuts, then dumping those into a box easier to measure the volume. A buddy if mine does fiberglass for an industrial boom lift manufacturer. He'll keep me on track.
The difference between sealed and ported for this particular sub is a 6db bump around 40Hz. I can live without that!

CHAD
those hds200s or any of the soundqubed lines hate sealed, they weren't engineered to perform well in sealed. There is no hassle, just do it with a 6 inch aero and be done with it. My buddy built plenty of enclosures for this specific sub a 6 will be fine for a single 15 for music tuned to 35-37hz. The packing peanuts trick will work.

those hds200s or any of the soundqubed lines hate sealed, they weren't engineered to perform well in sealed. There is no hassle, just do it with a 6 inch aero and be done with it. My buddy built plenty of enclosures for this specific sub a 6 will be fine for a single 15 for music tuned to 35-37hz. The packing peanuts trick will work.
Do you make the DIY aero ports with regular PVC and a heat gun?

CHAD

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.