Sound vs. Power in sealed enclosure?

Participant count
  • Participant list

94Integra

I am currently running an old 4 channel Fosgate 500-4 for my sub. It was meant to be more of a temporary setup which I would then move the amp to run my speakers. I love the clarity of these old Fosgate amps but I don't feel as if I have enough power for my Phoenix Gold 12 RSDC sub. Its in a sealed box with the correct space according to the PG manuals. I want more sound from this baby without necessarily compromising the clarity and control the Fosgate puts out.

Even though I am 17 my Dad has been a big car and home audio guy buying high end gear from McIntosh, Soundstream and Precision Power back in the day. Being that he grew up in the 80's and 90's I have become a big fan of old school stuff hence my current amp. Been looking at a few amps on eBay such as: MTX Thunder 280, MTX Thunder, 275X Amplifier, MTX 2200X, Orion 250SX and more.

My main question is if I run with a more powerful MTX amp for my sub will I lose clarity over my current Fosgate? With more power will I see a overall improvement with how loud it is being in a sealed enclosure?

Thanks

Old orion and mtx amps are every bit as good as old RF. Assuming your sub can handle the added power, clarity will remain.

Thanks for the quick reply, I was told that It could change the way the magnet would respond. I am under powering my sub, can handle up to 800W RMS and 1400 peak. Any on that list you would recommend? I am looking in the sub $100 used range.

Im personally partial to mtx's of that era. Always liked em, and rated at 12v and low thd.

Are you bridging 2 rear channels on your rf? If so it should be doing 300w or so.

An amp that comes to mind that should double that power is rf punch 500a2

Also the mtx 2300x which is 600x1 @4, but might do more like 800x1

The mtx was rated 425x1 but Im sure it was over the 500w mark. They are very comparable.

Go with whichever is more visually appealing to you and or in better shape

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.