Soldering vs crimping and electrical resistance

I solder small connections like 12 gauge or higher and the with larger gauges I solder then hydraulic crimp them. I've never had issues doing this. Better safe than sorry, tho I have no proof or to how it works.

Find someone else to do the jobs you keep asking about, its obvious he knows crap. Or you can learn and listen here and do it yourself, there is plenty of loud people here and some that do SQ. But it seems you do not want to listen to any advice...

Find someone else to do the jobs you keep asking about, its obvious he knows crap. Or you can learn and listen here and do it yourself, there is plenty of loud people here and some that do SQ. But it seems you do not want to listen to any advice...
Theres a forum shun going on. Dont reply to any of his threads

I solder small connections like 12 gauge or higher and the with larger gauges I solder then hydraulic crimp them. I've never had issues doing this. Better safe than sorry, tho I have no proof or to how it works.
That's kind of what I figure too.

John Kuthe...

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Theres a forum shun going on. Dont reply to any of his threads
Trying to herd cats, eh? Good luck with that! :)

John Kuthe...

To what are you referring? No context. :-(

John Kuthe...

Back in the days when Manville from JL and Andy W. from JBL used to check in here I think someone had put together some empirical data showing a good crimp and a good solder were basically equal in electrical performance.

Back in the days when Manville from JL and Andy W. from JBL used to check in here I think someone had put together some empirical data showing a good crimp and a good solder were basically equal in electrical performance.
Good to know, thanks! :) The qualifying term is a "good" one! :)

John Kuthe...

Crimping is faster shop are out to make money then have so much time for every car
Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
with a proper crimp its basically a cold weld which is just as good if not better than soldering (depending on your skill at soldering large lugs) when it comes to 1/0 and 4/0 wire but much faster and cost efficient.

formed_800x600.jpg'%20alt='formed_800x600.jpg'>

with a proper crimp its basically a cold weld which is just as good if not better than soldering when it comes to 1/0 and 4/0 wire but much faster and cost efficient.
For the cable shown it is not anywhere near close, a proper crimp should always be used and soldering should never be used.
That 2/0 cable / connector is designed to pass hundreds of amps, day in and day out. That high current will cause resistive heating at any / every problem area. If a solder joint is a problem area, then the solder will soften, making the problem worse.

Not so w/ a proper crimp. There will be an appropriate length of solid mass crimp, w/ virtually no air voids. It is possible to perform non-destructive measurements on the exterior dimensions of the crimp to verify good and reject bad.

A problem w/ solder is that it is easy for solder to wick up the cable, changing the cable from flexible to stiff, making breaking damage possible / likely.

I can't believe I read 3 pages of this gay ****. Op needs to find another hobby, he over thinks everything. Not the first ridiculous thread he's started

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.