Soldering vs crimping and electrical resistance

JohnKuthe

CarAudio.com Veteran
Missouri
I am having a local guy install my Alpine car audio system and the subject of soldering vs. crimping electrical connections has come up. I am quite good at soldering and my installer guy confessed to me he is not very good at soldering and has always crimped his electrical connections in an auto audio system install.

What's the latest wisdom on this debate, please?

Thanks, John Kuthe...

16-Ton-Hydraulic-Wire-Terminal-Crimper-Battery-Cable-Lug-Crimping-Tool- you can't go wrong with this!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always crimp but on the next setup im going to try soldering
As the first step of getting my Alpine system installed I replaced all six speakers with Alpine Type R speakers, and when attaching the little spade connections to the factory 18AWG wiring I crimps then soldered the crimp on the spade connectors. Best of both worlds I figure. Crimping to establish the mechanical connection then solder to reinforce the electrical connection. And I was talking with my install guy and I'm thinking of soldering the spade connections TO the Alpine speakers terminals for the final assembly. Seems silly to run 12AWG speaker wires to the speakers and have then terminate at the speaker with what could be a less than optimal electrical connection. At least to my mind, that's why I'm asking.

John Kuthe...

Oh, wow. I was thinking you were talking about bigger wires like soldering or crimping 0 gauge lugs.

For smaller stuff, I do it several ways. On my own stuff, I usually twist and electrical tape connections for the radio //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Otherwise, soldering and crimping are both good. Soldering, I would think is a bit better overall.

At the shop, we would always crimp and solder all small electrical connections

Oh, wow. I was thinking you were talking about bigger wires like soldering or crimping 0 gauge lugs.
For smaller stuff, I do it several ways. On my own stuff, I usually twist and electrical tape connections for the radio //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Otherwise, soldering and crimping are both good. Soldering, I would think is a bit better overall.

At the shop, we would always crimp and solder all small electrical connections
I was actually asking about ALL wire gages. I always though it would be a good idea to tin a big ole power and ground cables into one of those little set screw terminals in the back of big ole power amps as well as speaker wires, etc.

John Kuthe...

I only solder for the big 3 really..soldering is fkn ez..don't have to look pretty..tape it
Actually if it doesn't look pretty you probably did it wrong and have too much or too little solder in the joint.

That said, either crimp connectors or solder and tape are acceptable. Insulated crimp connectors have the edge that there's no risk of electrical tape or heat shrink wrap failing over time and shorting, and of course solder is more permanent and sound.

You're way over-thinking this, OP, you're not leaving anything on the table as far as performance from not soldering. I know 170dB guys who use wire nuts.

I solder any wires i tap/intercept from factory. I solder all wiring for alarms/remote start.

soldertap.jpg

I crimp terminals for connections at amps and speakers. I use properly sized terminals and proper crimping methods/tools. I've soldered wires to amp connectors before but it's not necessary.

I will sometimes solder at the speaker to alleviate the connectors at the speaker, such as this on my MLK-165:

accorddoors007.jpg

accorddoors009.jpg

accorddoors022.jpg

accorddoors023.jpg

accorddoors028.jpg

Great pics! Thanks! Yeah, I wish my installer guy was more into making the front doors like real speaker enclosures, but I sent him a Youtube video of a guy really doing it right and he was like "I'll stick the Dynamat in, but that's about all".

Yeah, I know, maybe I should have found someone better to do my work for me., but...

John Kuthe...

I always solder for probably 12 gauge and smaller since it can easily be done with a soldering iron. I tried soldering 4ga CCA once and I couldn't get the wire hot enough with my iron or gun (maybe it would've worked with copper). I tried a propane torch and that got it hot enough, but it was a charred mess. For large wires I used a dead blow hammer and an indent crimping tool:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=indent+crimping+tool&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aindent+crimping+tool

As far as electrical resistance goes, I'd imagine it'd be negligible if either way was done correctly - at least initially. For small wires I prefer soldering over anything else because I know the connection won't come undone or oxidize easily, so I don't have to redo it down the road. For the large gauge wires soldering would probably be ever so slightly better, but unless you're going for a record and trying for any tiny increase possible I don't think it's worth it. Crimped correctly the wire would probably support my weight; it's not coming undone easily.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.