HELP! electrical upgrades needed to run 8kW amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

cmartinez73

CarAudio.com Recruit
I picked up a taramps smart8 and its gonna power 2 american bass HD 12"s. Setup will be going into my next car assuming its a year 2006-11 honda civic si with oem electricals. I can't figure out an answer what will provide the amp with the sufficient amount volatage to keep it running good and not go into protect or damaging my alt or bat. Ive talked to a few people + looked around online but cant seem to find a forsure answer, ive been told a few different things.

Taramps don't like low voltage...I got a 320a alt and second battery for my smart3...

Even with that I can knock my voltage into 13's at an idle playing 3 or 4 techmaster p.e.b. tracks back to back showing off 😂

I picked up a taramps smart8 and its gonna power 2 american bass HD 12"s. Setup will be going into my next car assuming its a year 2006-11 honda civic si with oem electricals. I can't figure out an answer what will provide the amp with the sufficient amount volatage to keep it running good and not go into protect or damaging my alt or bat. Ive talked to a few people + looked around online but cant seem to find a forsure answer, ive been told a few different things.
I would start with 40ah of LiFePO4 and keep an eye on your voltage to determine if you need more. If your voltage drops too much, lay off the throttle until you upgrade the alternator. Lithium is a game changer. I'm running 5k and I wish I had tried lithium before I upgraded my alternator.
A cap isn't a substitute for a battery
That depends on the role of the battery. If your vehicle is not running, a capacitor cannot fill the role of the battery. If the vehicle is running and your alternator makes enough juice to power the stereo, a capacitor can do the job.

I found a 320-amp alt from JS alternators but that battery looks pretty dam good thanks alot for that help!

However I see that it says recommended charging is 13.8-14.8V, my JS alt would still charge factory amnt at 12V. That's confusing me because it says its compatible with factory charging?

Also another thing, it says its not reccomended for underhood use, does this mean i need to use this as a 2nd battery or am i able to just relocate it elsewhere?

Or do you think i need 2 batteries anyway? At 4kW the amp should use abt 190A and 166A at 3.5kW
if so do they both need to be relocated somewhere not in the trunk? I saw an old post on my cars forums page of somone running 3 batteries (it was from 10 years ago so i cant ask for help) so i know its possible not sure how exaclty though.
if i need to run this as a 2nd battery, what battery can I use under the hood of the car (I thought they were supposed to be the same, but I dont really know)?
Please get back to me if you can it would help alot!

I found a 320-amp alt from JS alternators but that battery looks pretty dam good thanks alot for that help!

However I see that it says recommended charging is 13.8-14.8V, my JS alt would still charge factory amnt at 12V. That's confusing me because it says its compatible with factory charging?

Also another thing, it says its not reccomended for underhood use, does this mean i need to use this as a 2nd battery or am i able to just relocate it elsewhere?

Or do you think i need 2 batteries anyway? At 4kW the amp should use abt 190A and 166A at 3.5kW
if so do they both need to be relocated somewhere not in the trunk? I saw an old post on my cars forums page of somone running 3 batteries (it was from 10 years ago so i cant ask for help) so i know its possible not sure how exaclty though.
if i need to run this as a 2nd battery, what battery can I use under the hood of the car (I thought they were supposed to be the same, but I dont really know)?
Please get back to me if you can it would help alot!

I linked the 250 alt because the max charge for that lithium is 300 amps. OEM charge voltage is 14.4ish.

No lithium under the hood. Would have to be a rear battery with a front battery delete but CAN be used with the factory front battery.

Last edited:
I linked the 250 alt because the max charge for that lithium is 300 amps. OEM charge voltage is 14.4ish.

No lithium under the hood. Would have to be a rear battery with a front battery delete but CAN be used with the factory front battery.
Ahh ok ok gotcha, so you think that 250 alt will be enough?
I might as well keep the factory battery (or replace it with a new regular one from autozone) and have them both for more battery reserve. And so it’s completely fine running that battery along with a regular battery?
Also one more thing, what’s a solid voltage monitor so I make sure the V are stable while playing music? ( I already have a bass knob with the clip and protect indicators)

Last edited:

I see the one you recommended is the series 2, would you recmmend the series 3? it will be able to output more amps and have a capable charging of 400A, then i would be able to run the 320A alt

Last edited:
Ahh ok ok gotcha, so you think that 250 alt will be enough?
I might as well keep the factory battery (or replace it with a new regular one from autozone) and have them both for more battery reserve. And so it’s completely fine running that battery along with a regular battery?
Also one more thing, what’s a solid voltage monitor so I make sure the V are stable while playing music? ( I already have a bass knob with the clip and protect indicators)

A larger alternator would be ideal but the 250 would do well. I have always ran Stinger volt meters personally.

I see the one you recommended is the series 2, would you recmmend the series 3? it will be able to output more amps and have a capable charging of 400A, then i would be able to run the 320A alt

I have not seen much on the new series 3 yet as they are still preorder. The series 3 will have a higher discharge but half the reserve. I personally would do the series 2.

A larger alternator would be ideal but the 250 would do well. I have always ran Stinger volt meters personally.

I have not seen much on the new series 3 yet as they are still preorder. The series 3 will have a higher discharge but half the reserve. I personally would do the series 2.
alright man thanks a tonn for the help with this u a lifesaver!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...