Brand new sub smells like electrical fire?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Well, to start with
#1- That amplifier is only 4ohm stable bridged so you cannot go below that ohm value Bridged mono.
#2- The sub is DVC4 ohm and can be wired with both coils at a final Ohm load of either 2 ohm(of which that amp is not capable of handling) or 8 ohm which it can be wired to to work fine.

Its not a great combination. If you have wired @ a 2 ohm load, you will end up frying the sub and frying the amplifier at some point. To use that amp.. You can wire to the 8 ohm load for both coils on the sub and it will work just fine. There is another option with what you have, and Ive done this in more than several occasions.
you can wire one coil up as a single voice coil 4 ohm load and use that amplifier in 4 ohm bridged/mono, But... The sub will only be able to handle 1/2 of the RMS value running as an SVC4 ohm sub= if the sub is rated for 400 watts rms @2 ohms half of that would be= 200 watts rms @4oms and wired as a single 4 ohm sub

Ive had to do this when I blew a coil on a sub when one coil read fine and the other did not and worked just fine to have some bass, and the sub still works today as a SVC sub @ 1/2 of the rms value. You will have the ability to run that sub @ a 4 ohm value in an SVC wiring configuration to use that amp you have. I would recommend at least a 1.8 sealed enclosure for that sub, or at a min. of 1.6 ported and tuned to approx 34-36 htz. Ported will take less power to get the sub moving. Sealed enclosure takes a bit more power.
Another way is to locate a 2 ohm stable Mono amplifier and wire the DVC4 ohm sub to a final load of 2 ohms as pictured above.
One of the most reliable amps even used is an Alpine MRP M-500, that can be found on ebay cheap if you look around that will do just fine off that 6ga of which I believe to be CCA wire and not OFC wire. Even this amplifier would work great for you, and you may be able to search for a cheaper one with a feedback on the seller of 100%

Im pretty sure the sub actually has one coil, im not entirely sure but theres only 1 place to connect wires to it. So it is hooked up at 4ohms bridged i think???

Im pretty sure the sub actually has one coil, im not entirely sure but theres only 1 place to connect wires to it. So it is hooked up at 4ohms bridged i think???
This wiring diagram is accurate to my setup and what i have it wired to currently. Whether the amp hates the sub or not i do not know, but this is how i have it wired. Again, it sounds great and works fine. But anything other than low to lowmiddle volume will smell like burning. Im not sure about airflow but the second i turn it up too much i can start to smell burning coming from the back so i would assume the airflow throughout the car is good as well.

Attachments

• 1SVC_4-ohm_2ch.jpg
    1SVC_4-ohm_2ch.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 16
This wiring diagram is accurate to my setup and what i have it wired to currently. Whether the amp hates the sub or not i do not know, but this is how i have it wired. Again, it sounds great and works fine. But anything other than low to lowmiddle volume will smell like burning. Im not sure about airflow but the second i turn it up too much i can start to smell burning coming from the back so i would assume the airflow throughout the car is good as well.
Update: The burning smell is slowly going away at middle volumes. To the point where it only comes on at middle volumes. I adjusted the sub master volume on the amp from 2 to 10 which is right in the middle and sounds balanced on most songs and i only smelled it at higher volumes. So im going to assume it just has been burning off whatever it needs to OR it only wants to be controlled from the amp rather than adjusting it on the head unit. Its now at the point im comfortable and happy with it so its worth for me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...