So frustrating! (mids amp issue)

West1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Recently I had a 125.4 FSD amp go bad on me, terminals 1&2 went bad. Replaced that with a really nice zapco (about 1 month ago), hooked it up and up until 2 days ago I had no issues. Between vol 16 and 26 (26 is max I play at), channel 1 & 2 turn on and off, then it continues to ch 3 &4. Rear speakers still play but it sounds like someone is plugging and unplugging speakers. Bass does not skip a beat.

The last thing I did was rewire ch 3&4 thinking the wiring was the issue just before ch 1&2 on FSD took a dump. Since the recent issue, I pulled my HU (Pioneer NEX) and rewired highs & lows remote wire as it was 3 pieces in total. Re ground HU at chassis, clip and trim ch 1,2,3&4 on highs and open all 4 door speakers to make sure I have good connection.

ZAPCO 180x4 (forget model number)

saz1000.1

sundown shallow mount

2 ID xs69 in front

2 pioneer 6x9 5 ways in rear

Pioneer nex

XS D3100 under the hood

mechman HO alt 270

knukonceptz RCA for highs and lows.

Big 3

This is doing my brain in... anyone have any tips, recommendations or things to test/look at?

Much appreciated!!

Try a new set of RCA's or the HU pre outs are going bad
any way to test good/bad RCAs or just by replacing them?

I'll swap Rear RCAs to front and vice versa (at amp and HU) today. If rear speakers go out and front flicker, then I think its RCAs (they are under a yr old:crazy:)

Update,

I switched RCA ch's and still had the issue. When putting everything back I realized I did not tape the RCA's to HU and seen one ch was plugged in correctly but the RCA itself was a few revolutions unscrewed... screwed that sucker back and taped all ch's up. No more issues!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Could be the HU then. Got another one u can put in and try out?
I only have one HU

No chance you have an RCA pinched or frayed somewhere?
Doubt it, I ran them pretty clean. I will take a close look tomorrow.

So frustrating, especially now that my sundown x10 box is finally being built. It's taken me over 6 months to find a builder that can make it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

This morning my HU had a lot of random red lines outlining everything on display. FFW to lunch and when I turned my truck on, HU went full red. 30 sec later it was normal.

I may start looking for a new DD HU.

Do you guys think its worth it to send in for repair or buy a new one? I have had this Pioneer nex4100 about 1.5 years

This morning my HU had a lot of random red lines outlining everything on display. FFW to lunch and when I turned my truck on, HU went full red. 30 sec later it was normal. I may start looking for a new DD HU.

Do you guys think its worth it to send in for repair or buy a new one? I have had this Pioneer nex4100 about 1.5 years
Id say have it looked at first if anyone is willing to check it free and get a quote on how much it will be.

For a 400$ headunit it would **** for it to go bad like that, if not buy the cheapest one that fits your needs and sell that headunit for parts or to some dumba$$ on craigslist lol.

Id say have it looked at first if anyone is willing to check it free and get a quote on how much it will be.For a 400$ headunit it would **** for it to go bad like that, if not buy the cheapest one that fits your needs and sell that headunit for parts or to some dumba$$ on craigslist lol.
Lol, nah I can't do anyone dirty, I believe that stuff comes back haha.

I also found it odd that the display would start acting weird. I do use Pandora daily for 25min to and from work, other than that this truck is parked. There is an authorized pioneer repair spot near me in Compton, I'll call and ask them. Maybe they have heard/fixed similar HU's with this issue. Although, I did just pickup a new Note 8, that's the only recent new thing that the system has had.

1hr later-

I called Pioneer and they said the red could be a software issue as I do not have the most recent version. As far off as this sounds, I am holding on to Hope lol. If ithe issue is the HU, I am not going back with Pioneer. I will go back to Kenwood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update

I think I found the problem.

I planned to remove power and ground @ the amp and cut 1/2" of wire. Upon doing the power wire, there was quite a few cut pieces between the wire and screw. When I pulled the wire, about 1/16 of the 4g was in tiny pieces. Either I over tightened or just over time the wire started to break.

On day 4 and I have not had any issues.

The good is all speakers have fresh 12g wire and remote wire has new 16g //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

thanks for the help guys!

ready for New Box Day which is sunday...

Speakers are fine. When rewiring them, I tested each speaker with sub off. Just yesterday I turned sub off and played mid/highs solo for a bit while messing with crossover.

WTF, jinxed myself. Did it again today.

I'm so stuck on what's going on. Put a rca y on ch1/2 and plugged it to my note8, ch1/2 cut off and ch 3/4 seem to play just fine.

Could this be a crossover issue from ID 6x9's? I'm just not sure that would cause all speakers but sub to flicker.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.