should my sub be smelly when break in?

Juice0723
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Canada
just wondering I turned my gain a tad up because I got my subs like 3-4 days ago. Just slowly putting more power to them. Now they got a bit smelly when I slam them. So I turned it down right away when I smelt it. They are custom ssackett subs. DC Level 5 soft parts.

Many manufacturers use excessive glue (just to be sure) and yes, it does burn off during initial use. And it can smell noticeably (and safely). But your description of how you perceive the correct way to adjust your gain level concerns me. Id suggest reading the gain setting tutorial stickied on this forum.

yea I do the gain that way too. but for some reason on a tone my dmm goes all over the place lol. Like goes low then high. Doesn't stay a constant #. So it's like wtf. Why does it do that?

to answer ur questions you can get a smell from extra glue burning off the coil. if it keeps happening you you will kill the coil by burining the glue off the coil that holds it to the former and it will "slinky". check the dust cap i bet you are getting ur subs warm.

if there is a few stiff spiders you need to break them in good before putting alot of power on them for music. the reason they will move more once broke in which pushes more air around the coil,cooling...

yea the dustcap is getting warm. The smell is pretty much away now. If I blast it for a long time the dustcap will get pretty warm. Probably because how much power I'm sending to them. But they pound hard as hell. It's awesome. I will put up some vids I did today.

well this *****. now I snapped the 1inch wooden dowels in my box amazingly. how should I brace it now lol. The whole box is together. I might just do a big piece of mdf front to back and top to bottom. Probably mess up the air flow tho.

If you broke 1" dowels, you are getting some severe flex in your enclosure. Without seeing the box its hard to say what's wrong, but it obviously needs some TLC.

3/4" mdf? Double baffle? Post some pics, cuz breaking internal bracing like that is unusual.

with the dowels it was 32.14hz. 1.5" top where the subs are with port back.

boxcalccompletefinal.jpg

reaudioboxcalccompletefinal-2.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.