Should I Use A Passive Radiator

jdubin94

Miami
What's going on guys. So I currently have two RE *** 10's in a sealed enclosure that I am somewhat unsatisfied with. I find the SQ to be less than desired. I think part of this is due to the fact that they're only getting about .5cuf each, sealed. For this reason. I was thinking about selling them and getting 1 , more powerful 10" that will better fit this enclosure. In order to use the box that I have though, I'd have to throw a passive radiator in the other 10" hole. Was looking at this one : https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sd270-pr-10-designer-series-passive-radiator--295-494

But to be honest, I know very little about them, how they work, and if it would be a good idea here. Can you guys please explain?

Thanks,

Josh

Not only do I not have enough trunk space for ported ( can barely fit the sealed enclosure), for the type of music I listed to, I've decided sealed is best, PLUS, I do not want to buy an entirely new enclosure. I would like to use my current one if possible and that's why I've asked about using a passive radiator. Can you please touch on that?

Not only do I not have enough trunk space for ported ( can barely fit the sealed enclosure), for the type of music I listed to, I've decided sealed is best, PLUS, I do not want to buy an entirely new enclosure. I would like to use my current one if possible and that's why I've asked about using a passive radiator. Can you please touch on that?
What car? You may be better of with a set of 8's, in a proper sized box they will blow away those strangled 10's

Those Re's if they're S E X 10's LOVE a ported enclosure... lol... if you can find the space it would be worth it. I had a pair aeroported in 1.25ft3 net ea. and tuned to 32-33hz and they did great... I'm sorry I ever got rid of mine, Rock and lows didn't matter they always sounded great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Designing a passive radiator setup is very similar to a ported design. Slapping a random passive radiator in the other speaker cutout is going to sound like doo-doo. There are actual calculations needed to determine what size passive radiator you need based on the driver, enclosure, and desired tuning. I've forgotten more than I remember on designing these but I want to say the displacement of the passive radiator needs to be at least 1.5 times that of the driver (I am sure you can find a write up on this online somewhere). If you want to get a good idea of how it may sound, just unhook one sub and run it with both installed. Obviously, you are you going to gain a bit more air space without the motor on a passive radiator, but you can at least get an idea of how it will sound.

In all honesty, the answer here is to get a proper design for those drivers if you want them to sound better. Tossing a more powerful 10 into 1 cubic feet of air space and running it in a half-@$$ed passive radiator system is not going to yield any gains.

Designing a passive radiator setup is very similar to a ported design. Slapping a random passive radiator in the other speaker cutout is going to sound like doo-doo. There are actual calculations needed to determine what size passive radiator you need based on the driver, enclosure, and desired tuning. I've forgotten more than I remember on designing these but I want to say the displacement of the passive radiator needs to be at least 1.5 times that of the driver (I am sure you can find a write up on this online somewhere). If you want to get a good idea of how it may sound, just unhook one sub and run it with both installed. Obviously, you are you going to gain a bit more air space without the motor on a passive radiator, but you can at least get an idea of how it will sound.
In all honesty, the answer here is to get a proper design for those drivers if you want them to sound better. Tossing a more powerful 10 into 1 cubic feet of air space and running it in a half-@$$ed passive radiator system is not going to yield any gains.
Exactly that. While passive radiators are fairly easy to tune, the design needs to be extendively modeled to dial in the right response needed. You don't just drop in a PR into any box. If you are short on space then a pair of ported 8s or a single high powered 10 that doesn't need a lot of space in a ported configuration would work the best.

Everyone continuously recommends ported . But I listen to a lot of edm with fast bass notes, where accuracy and transient response is needed. I understand how ported is great for genres like hip hop with prolonged bass notes, but that's not all that I listed to. I don't only want for my subs to slam. I really do want them to sound good. Is sealed not the way I should go?

Because to reiterate, my two 10's sealed hit hard enough for me. The reason I want to upgrade is because I don't like the SQ enough.. That's why I think upgrading to single, better quality sub like the ICON would be more what I am looking for.

Everyone continuously recommends ported . But I listen to a lot of edm with fast bass notes, where accuracy and transient response is needed. I understand how ported is great for genres like hip hop with prolonged bass notes, but that's not all that I listed to. I don't only want for my subs to slam. I really do want them to sound good. Is sealed not the way I should go?
Because to reiterate, my two 10's sealed hit hard enough for me. The reason I want to upgrade is because I don't like the SQ enough.. That's why I think upgrading to single, better quality sub like the ICON would be more what I am looking for.
Your perception/view of ported is about as wrong as you can possibly get.
Icon shines on ported. Don't see why you want a double stacked motor sub that's almost 50lbs and then shove it in a small *** sealed enclosure (you would basically be wasting a good sub).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.