Best subwoofer for my options?

Hi!

I'm looking to spend no more than $250 on a subwoofer for my 94 Bronco. I'll be running 7" Anarchy mid-bass speakers in the front and some good midrange coaxials in the rear seat 6x8" mounting place. And tweeters on the dash. I'm looking at around 600W RMS max and a 12" cone. I don't necessarily want this to be loud or shake the living hell out of my car, but more so to nicely reproduce bass and kick drum sounds of the music with that subtle warmth. I listen to mostly rock & metal. Also space isn't too much of a concern, I have a decently sized trunk.

I'll decide on the amplifier after I pick my sub.

Right now I'm looking at the Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 wired to 2Ohm.

Please let me know what you guys think would be a better sub for the money or any other advice you may have. I'm fairly new to this audio stuff.

Thanks!

If space is not a concern then look into a transmission line box. It requires a good amount of space but will get you the most musical bandwidth you are looking for. Great thing about it also is that it's very efficient with power. I vote for a 12" dayton HO and spend the rest of the money on getting a nice custom enclosure.

If space is not a concern then look into a transmission line box. It requires a good amount of space but will get you the most musical bandwidth you are looking for. Great thing about it also is that it's very efficient with power. I vote for a 12" dayton HO and spend the rest of the money on getting a nice custom enclosure.
The Box isn't part of the cost. So for now I just want to buy the subwoofer. What's good about the Dayton HO? As opposed to the Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12?

The Box isn't part of the cost. So for now I just want to buy the subwoofer. What's good about the Dayton HO? As opposed to the Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12?
Well it has what's called triple shorting rings built in that's meant to give you ultra low distortion. You normally only see that technology in higher priced subs. It has a 5 year warranty. The one thing I really like about this sub is how linear the response curve is in such small enclosures. The lows are not bloated and overly loud but can hit as low as you want. It's meant for SQ but it still packs a punch. From the description you wrote, I feel like this sub is a great candidate. It's well proven and there's endless reviews and videos about this particular sub. It's more popular in home theater but many of us have used it in car audio with great success. They come in dual 4 and single 4 ohm. A 12" DVC4 with a T-line and a good amp would sound phenomenal for your bronco.

I have the 10" P3D4 at 2ohms. It's brutal for what it is. If it is this good in my smaller SUV (95 Grand Cherokee) then I am sure the 12 will do wonders in your Full size Bronco. I am pushing it with a Rockford Fosgate Prime 1200-1D amp and it loves it and would easily push the 12 as well.

Thanks guys! I'll probably go with the P3D4 and wire it to 2Ohms. I am wondering, when it comes to custom boxes, where should I look at? I don't want to just buy a crappy box on Amazon. Is there a company or something that do boxes specifically for certain speakers that won't bankrupt me? Thanks!

I have the 10" P3D4 at 2ohms. It's brutal for what it is. If it is this good in my smaller SUV (95 Grand Cherokee) then I am sure the 12 will do wonders in your Full size Bronco. I am pushing it with a Rockford Fosgate Prime 1200-1D amp and it loves it and would easily push the 12 as well.
Perhaps but I'm really limited. Currently living in a small apartment and I'm leaving in 3 weeks.
i have a pair of P3 12"s and they are pretty dang decent, but i think youd be better off with the IDQs for great sq and ability to rattle your brain if you want to from time to time and the dayton in a great box would be better than the P3 in a decent box. The P3 really isnt an sq sub, but it aint bad. a bit overpriced for what it really is

i have a pair of P3 12"s and they are pretty dang decent, but i think youd be better off with the IDQs for great sq and ability to rattle your brain if you want to from time to time and the dayton in a great box would be better than the P3 in a decent box. The P3 really isnt an sq sub, but it aint bad. a bit overpriced for what it really is
Thanks! When you talk about "IDQ" do you mean Image Dynamics? I heard they make good stuff but it's fairly expensive, and I also noticed their magnets on the 750W sub aren't as big as the P3D4's. Also, 750W is overkill for me. Even 600W is, although I figured I'd get that for those few times a week where I want to rattle my car for no reason

Thanks! When you talk about "IDQ" do you mean Image Dynamics? I heard they make good stuff but it's fairly expensive, and I also noticed their magnets on the 750W sub aren't as big as the P3D4's. Also, 750W is overkill for me. Even 600W is, although I figured I'd get that for those few times a week where I want to rattle my car for no reason
yup, image dynamics IDQ series. they are known to be a phenomenal sounding sub when put in the correct enclosure. You want richness and smooooooooth? Get the IDQ and get the right box for it (eventually, i saw your time constraints). You might also want to really consider the dayton subs as they are quite musical also, probably a great match for what youve described your wants as. Sounds great and can get fairly loud for those times you want to be reckless and turn it up to eleven

I believe RF subs still use a cap to cover up the actual sub magnet so they aren't that large
yep, there is a rubber gasket around the magnet giving it the illusion of size it doesnt possess. Its not a wimpy woofer, but if i was in the market again, id be looking at sundown, FI audio SSD's or PSI platform 2's. Now that ive looked, FI has 25% off pretty much everything. The SSD's are $260 for a 12". Ive never had one, but they look pretty impressive.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.