should i go active??

iceteebone
5,000+ posts

Banned
Michigan
i have a set of boston acoustic pro 6.5's and i'm gonna install them but i'm thinking of not using the crossover. my amp by the way is a PG titanium 500.4. i can do 250 watts x2 bridged. (little more because the set is 3 ohms) or 75 watts x 4. my headunit also has a 3-way crossover. i'm gonna be mounting the mids in the doors, and tweets in the A-pilars. i was thinking about running the mids off the rear channels and tweets off the front. which way would sound better and where should i set my crossover then for the mids and tweets?

I'd try both. The only thing keeping me from trying a DIY comp setup is the need for a solid crossover network. If you already have one, go for it.

Take a look at BA's website. I think I recall them STRONGLY advising against changing to an active crossover. They note that they have teams of engineers working on designing the system. And you sir, are a certified pimp, not an engineer.

go passive... I'm not a pimp, I'm an engineer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hide.gif.2d479cfd917eedfe201353b91522ceab.gif -- Just compared my components to the Boston Acoustic Z6 and blew them away... it was very satisfying!

go passive... I'm not a pimp, I'm an engineer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hide.gif.2d479cfd917eedfe201353b91522ceab.gif -- Just compared my components to the Boston Acoustic Z6 and blew them away... it was very satisfying!
Nice. What are you running?

Well I started a small business doing this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif -- So far a 2 way with the Dayton RS tweeter and dayton RS 6", a 2 way with the RS tweeter and RS 7", and a 2 way with the RS tweeter and a pair of RS 7" per side is going in my car (the time alignment is accounted for in my car though so it will sum flat within +- 1.5dB...... managed to have useable off axis response to 80 degrees off axis in my house....

I have a 3 way using the 8" RS 6"RS and the dayton neo tweeter that is +-0.5dB on axis but the power response is less even than the RS 2ways... he will also have to watch his gains -- don't want a dead little neo tweeter even though it is $4.60 haha. He is still putting together the money for it though...

Just started the business, only 2 people out in the world have them at the moment... they are my beta testers so to speak -- bought the prototypes for just a little over parts costs, all they have to do is take pictures and write reviews... Still looking for other people that would be interested though...

My goal is to have quality component sets in local stores -- enabling them to be competitive with mainstream brands bought online. Shooting for about a $800 price in the stores (about $300 in costs -- allows 60% markup for the stores, and some for me -- and is still price competitive with online stores...) -- No authorized online sales... I'll be handling direct sales though when I get everything out of the prototype stage and when the PBCs are finialized and ordered (and I can make them in mass)

I'll be stuck with the normal RS drivers for a little while until I get enough money to order up my own batches of drivers incorporating a few new ideas that I have... That’s what happens when you try to start a business with only a few thousand dollars and a ton of your time…

Well I started a small business doing this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif -- So far a 2 way with the Dayton RS tweeter and dayton RS 6", a 2 way with the RS tweeter and RS 7", and a 2 way with the RS tweeter and a pair of RS 7" per side is going in my car (the time alignment is accounted for in my car though so it will sum flat within +- 1.5dB...... managed to have useable off axis response to 80 degrees off axis in my house....
I have a 3 way using the 8" RS 6"RS and the dayton neo tweeter that is +-0.5dB on axis but the power response is less even than the RS 2ways... he will also have to watch his gains -- don't want a dead little neo tweeter even though it is $4.60 haha. He is still putting together the money for it though...

Just started the business, only 2 people out in the world have them at the moment... they are my beta testers so to speak -- bought the prototypes for just a little over parts costs, all they have to do is take pictures and write reviews... Still looking for other people that would be interested though...

My goal is to have quality component sets in local stores -- enabling them to be competitive with mainstream brands bought online. Shooting for about a $800 price in the stores (about $300 in costs -- allows 60% markup for the stores, and some for me -- and is still price competitive with online stores...) -- No authorized online sales... I'll be handling direct sales though when I get everything out of the prototype stage and when the PBCs are finialized and ordered (and I can make them in mass)

I'll be stuck with the normal RS drivers for a little while until I get enough money to order up my own batches of drivers incorporating a few new ideas that I have... That’s what happens when you try to start a business with only a few thousand dollars and a ton of your time…
cool...who's making your passives?

cool...who's making your passives?
I am //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif LSPcad pro 6 + my brain + lots of time = sweet xovers...

I'm shopping arround for a good deal on quality PCBs -- anyone have any suggestions? Possibly I should ask Chad (Owner of ascendant audio) whos going to be making his... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

In your case, I'd stick with the passives...

I am //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif LSPcad pro 6 + my brain + lots of time = sweet xovers...
I'm shopping arround for a good deal on quality PCBs -- anyone have any suggestions? Possibly I should ask Chad (Owner of ascendant audio) whos going to be making his... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
And you're in Kentucky eh? I'm in Cincinnati, how far away are you? We should meet up sometime...I'd love to talk. Happen to have an RTA?

NG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.