Should I Dynamat Old Sub Hole in Rear Deck?

Participant count
  • Participant list

hutt132
10+ year member

US
I have a 2006 Acura TL with a ported 1k watt subwoofer in the trunk. I just ordered some Dynamat to stop my trunk lid and rear deck from rattling like crazy. I want to take the stock sub out of the rear deck and was wondering if I should leave the hole open or close it off. I would think leaving it open would make the bass louder inside.

Here are two pictures I found of the rear deck:

RearDeckStock.jpg

RearDeckDynamat.jpg~original

no.

if you fully seal the trunk you greatly limit how much bass gets into the cabin from the trunk. leave that opening there.

dynamat won't eliminate rear deck rattles, it reduces metal resonance. the rattles are from plastic vibrating against the rear window or metal. what you want are foams or fabrics between the rear deck plastic cover and the rear deck metal. you may also need to actually fasten the cover to the metal to prevent it from rattling against the glass. this can be done aesthetically with screw caps that match the color. i knock on the panels/metal to listen for ringing or buzzes during application. I also fill all voids with acoustical insulation to reduce resonance.

simply put - put soft stuff between the hard things and the rattles go away. sometimes simply adding a piece of rubber between the 3rd brake light and the rear glass will do the trick.

accordreardeck001.jpg

accordreardeck002.jpg

accordreardeck006.jpg

Thank you for the information. I was thinking of getting some thick weather stripping to place between the metal and the rear deck cover. Since you said most of the rattling comes from the plastic hitting the metal and window, do you think dynamatting the entire rear shelf would be pointless, with the exception of the sub hole, or should I just place a few pieces on it?

Thank you for the information. I was thinking of getting some thick weather stripping to place between the metal and the rear deck cover. Since you said most of the rattling comes from the plastic hitting the metal and window, do you think dynamatting the entire rear shelf would be pointless, with the exception of the sub hole, or should I just place a few pieces on it?
not pointless. bare metal resonates and is audible. knock on it and listen for how long it rings. add deadener until the ringing is gone.

I have (2) 12' type r's on a hifonics brxd2000.1d in a 2005 nissan altima and my trunk rattles like crazy.... I was gonna dynamat the whole trunk and rear deck.... From outside the car you hear my trunk rattle over the bass...its annoying and embarrassing....any advice on how o get this to setle down?

I have (2) 12' type r's on a hifonics brxd2000.1d in a 2005 nissan altima and my trunk rattles like crazy.... I was gonna dynamat the whole trunk and rear deck.... From outside the car you hear my trunk rattle over the bass...its annoying and embarrassing....any advice on how o get this to setle down?
Did you read this thread ?

he says how to tame the rattles.

Obviously i read the thread smart ***, ive done some of the things he said to do but still have lots of rattling from my trunk!!! Smart asses like you need not reply to those of us seeking help for our question!!! So if you dont intend on helping others i suggest you take your fingers off the keyboard and put it on the mouse and keep scrolling!!!

rattles are caused by two hard things vibrating against eachother. put something soft between those surfaces. simple as that.

each vehicle is unique and rattles need to be searched for in person.

music isn't useful for testing but tones are. feel around and press on areas to find rattles, add softer materials as needed.

wrapping trunk latches and seat latches with electrical tape (2-4 layers) can calm that source.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.