Installing all speakers in the rear?!

Ijcobra
10+ year member

Crazy concept.

There are so many issues with installing speakers up front:

-Limited mounting locations

-Hard to get speakers equal distance

-Phase issues/cancellations

My idea is to mount ALL my speakers to a custom "subwoofer box". This will be mounted to my backseats so when I lower them (it's an SUV) all the speakers are pointing forward. The box will include 2 subs, 2 mid bass, 2 midrange, and 2 tweeters. Running active through a 3Sixty.3 and 2 HD 900/5 amps.

Benefits

-All speakers on the same plane

-Speakers closer to equal distance from driver & passenger

-Simple and inexpensive

I suppose the drawback is I would have no front stage. It might be like being at a concert and facing the crowd. But maybe that isn't a big deal?

What do the experts say?

Another benefit is all speakers would be around head level. They'd also all be mounted solidly with their own MDF chambers in the same enclosure. Easy wiring.

It has to do with imaging. You want the sound to be in front of you because that's the direction your ears face. Sub bass doesn't matter as much, but high frequencies are very directional. There's a reason speakers are in the front and the tweeters are pointed towards your head.

It can definitely be done, but like you said, it'll be just like having your back to a concert. You're essentially making a higher powered, less mobile boombox. You'll have to turn up your high frequency speakers quite a bit to compensate and it'll still sound like **** compared to setting it up conventionally.

Your on an enthusiasts website. Your not going to get thats a good idea. Try asking on http://www.fishandstream.com, http://www.furrygangbang.com, or try your local craigslist under casual encounters. Maybe make a post asking to go to a concert and you would like to hold a piece of glass in front of you while facing your back to the stage. Just trying to help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Just put some home satellite speakers on your box. Better yet get a set of orbs and mount them in 5.1 fashion around your vehicle. Problem solved!

I heard of someone installing the Bose Acoustimass home theater in his car. Said it sounded great.

all of the speakers in the rear isn't a new, innovative idea. it's called car audio in the 1980's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

for me, it was 1996.

3808500002_large.jpg

it can sound good. you can have plenty of space for larger midbass drivers.

it's like being in a concert and facing the rear.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.