Should I cover hatch access holes?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Umbra

Hobbyist & CA Tenderfoot
Right now I'm in the process of bracing and deadening the rear hatch lid thing in my minivan because my subs are rear firing and they're doing a number on it. CLD tiles are going on both panels that make up the lid and I'm trying to cram pieces of wood between the two for bracing. There are still holes in the innermost panel to access various mechanisms in the for.

I knew you're supposed to close up these holes in doors if you're sticking a midrange speaker in there to help separate the front and rear waves, but I don't know the science here. Would it be better to patch them up with decoupled sheet metal covered in deadener or leave it alone? Would the best thing to do is just screw a sheet of wood over the whole lid?

My objective is to reduce the rattling of the lid and hopefully gain a bit of SQ and SPL in the process.

Thanks for any advice.
77fdf3af2ac82d9b0239f6a96c494d63.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think I've got a can somewhere, not sure if it seized up yet. I'll a bit of that around the edges. There shouldn't be much moisture in there, but there are drainage holes, so I don't want to overdo it.

If I fill the whole enclosure they'll be no more rattling for sure, but fixing anything in there is going to be a nightmare

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.