Setting up 2007 Xterra: Suggestions?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Geckout

I currently own a 2007 xterra and wanted to set up a system where as I don't have to take up much if any at all of the space in the back for amps and sub boxes. Currently I am looking to do a system with the following components:

HU just a simple Kenwood KDC-X791 for now.

Carry over from previous car so don't want to spend money on that right now.

Fronts/ Rears : Boston Acoustic Pro series/S series in rear

Amps : looking at JL or Alpine amps

Sub: For this i was looking at a single 10" to place in the back in a specially designed box that fits over the rear wheel well.

I was looking at either the JL or Alpine Subs for this as well.

I was told that I could actually get a much better system for a really good price and that people on this forum could give me some excellent advice on some brands to look at / purchase. It would be nice to not have to spend much more than say 1800$ for the system installed but since I am fairly new at this, this number may not be very reasonable.

I'd appreciate any and all advice on components , brands, systems, etc as I would like to do this right the first time.

as for types of music: well i listen to most everything from dave matthews to dre and snoop dogg. i love good sounding bass and love to hear really crystal clear notes on guitar etc. I also tend to listen to my music pretty loud as well.

below are two pics from an exterra site showing where people seem to place the sub and amp.

thanks again for helping out a NooB with some component questions.

Nothing wrong with that setup. If you get it, you'll have a good sounding system. If you buy everything online, you'll get decent prices. Here are some lower cost alternatives, though:

For speakers, a lot of people will recommend running just a good set of components in the front, and don't put any speakers in the rear. You'll get better stereo imaging and staging. And with a good set of comps and amp, they'll make plenty of sound to fill the cabin.

I'm a fan of Rainbow speakers. I think you'll like the Rainbow Powerline CMX Kicks. Very good midbass, and a great tweeter, crystal clear without being harsh. They can be had from the dealers on here for somewhere in the neighborhood of $330 shipped. If you absolutely must have rear speakers, the Rainbow SL 165 coaxials would be good. I like to keep with the same brand, so the speakers at least sound similar.

For an amp, the Alpine PDX-4.150 is nice, but a little pricey. A Kicker zx650.4 would be a good choice. They can be had for about $370 new online, or if you want to save money, you can get a factory refurbished one for about $170 from hifisoundconnection.com.

For a sub, a Kicker CompVR is a good relatively inexpensive sub, for about $80. The Alpine Type R isn't bad either. An RE Audio SE 10" would also be a good choice, for about $200.

For a sub amp, again the Alpine PDX series are nice, but pricey. A Kicker zx750.1 or zx1000.1 (depending on your sub's power handling) are good choices, and can be had new for about $280 and $400, respectively. Or you get get a refurb for a lot less.

That's about $750-$1300, depending on what you buy, which leaves some left over for a subwoofer enclosure, wiring and installation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.