setting hpf, lpf...etc help kenwood x493

Participant count
  • Participant list

grooverider
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
IL
I have a kenwood excelon x493.

Im a little confused on some of the menus.

wtf is.........

bass center freq? i can pick from 40-150

bass q factor?1.00, 1.25, 1.50, 2.0

bass extend?

middle center freq?

middle q factor?

I have 6.5 and 6x9's in my car, Ill soon have two 12" subs.

what should I set as my front HPF? rear HPF? low pass filter?

and wtf is dual zone?

thanks in advance! this baby is packed full of features and im lost!

dont you think i already tried? it tells me the ratios I can use, but it doesnt describe what my speakers would be best at. what do those settings mean?

I read **** like this..

parmet2.gif

but i just dont really understand it. but thanks for being a dick //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

center frequency is just that, the center frequency you set it to for bass mid treb

look at the picture, q factor is how narrow or wide it boost the frequency with the max being at the center freq

depends if the speakers are good, with subs usually around 80hz will do, but without subs xover at 80 will take the bass out of your speakers, so maybe 60 or 40hz if they have it

dual zone is seperate sound for the front and rear seats, fornt can have ipod while the rear listens to aux in for a dvd

center frequency is the main frequency you're boosting

q factor determines the roll off rate from both sides of the center frequency

high pass filter & the low pass filter are x-over settings

LPF lets the Lows Pass Freely, while the highs start to roll off

HPF lets the Highs Pass Freely, while the lows start to roll off

i dont understand roll off rate. so putting it to 2.0 instead of 1.0 will boost the bass/mid/treble im adjusting?

Im just not sure what to set my hpf at for the front and rear. sorry if this bothers you guys. im new, gotta learn somewhere

I have the same head unit - u still having issues? Roll off rate and all that crossover stuff is all directly related to that graph someone posted up above. (Remember that sound in music is spread over a range of frequencies, with bass being low frequencies, treble is high, and mids in between) Frequency is the horizontal (x) axis of the graph. The vertical (y) axis is "boost".

Crossovers are like a filter, or frequency gate, in that it only passes the frequencies you want to the speakers. It does this by boosting the range of frequencies, or blocking the frequencies you don't want.

As to how you should set the crossovers, the most important thing to consider is are you using a subwoofer? If not, just set the x-over on your interiors to "thru". With a sub, set the sub to pass everythign below 80 or 100 Hz, and then for the interior speakers you should pass everything above that same number. Sometimes you may wish to have some overlap, like set the sub to 100 and the interiors to 80 - just depending on your preference on the sound.

Crossovers are real important for interior speakers (if you have the sub) because not only will all the bass from so many speakers sound crappy, but when the head unit allows you to cut out the bass out it frees a lot of extra power for the real music.

i have a focus SVT with the audiophile package.

i also have upgraded front speakers taht are kenwood excelon.

I feel like I have hardly any bass with this system. It has bass without a sub.....well it should. but however i cant figure this deck out.

Ive heard other SVT focuses and they had like 5x the bass I have right now

i have my bass freq @ 100 qfactor for bass at 1.25 and bass ext ON

bass boost is level 2

mid and treb q factor and settings i didnt really **** with

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.