Setting gains with bridged amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

JaysonR
10+ year member

OK so I'm still a little confused with setting the gains using these formulas. I have a JBL amp running 180x2 at 4 ohms but I have it bridged as a sub amp (2 dvc 4ohm subs) running 700 at 4 ohms (according to the birthsheet)

Now what the heck is my voltage supposed to be????

Uhh, I cant rememebr but I believe there is an archived thread about this. Have you tried a search?

Power = (Voltage)^2 / Resistance

Want to find the voltage ? Then reorganize the equation

Like this: Voltage = square root of (Power x resistance)

V = sqrt (700 Watts x 4 Ohm)

V= sqrt (2800 "units")

V = 52.915 Volts (Lets just say 60 Volts, it doesnt have to be precise)

Connect the AC multimeter to the bridged channel, Set your head unit to about 75% volume (If it goes to 20 then set it to 15, for instance) and turn up your gain until the meter reads 60 volts. Make sure you set the meter to read RMS voltage, not peak. Your gain has been set. Might want to play some test tones to make this setting.

As long as you stay within that 75% volume range you are almost assurred to get unclipped playback, should the subs be able to handle that RMS power. Obviously, beyond 75% volume you will be driving the amp out of spec and risk clipping the output signal.

Hope this helps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.