Setting Gain with Multimeter

Participant count
  • Participant list

raider89
10+ year member

OH
I'm trying to set my gain on my amp to get an idea of where I should set my gain.

I'm running a 12 inch HD D2 American Bass to 1 ohm at 2000 watts. When I'm doing the calculations do I use my woofer ohm or the amp ohm? Like does my amp output need to be 2000 x 1 then square of that or do I do 2000 x 2 for the square root of 4000. I have it set at 63v which I think it should be 44v. Thanks for any help

Last edited:
FFS learn basic math and what a square root is

Multiplying by 2 is not a square root.
??? I never said it was. Please re read or move along.

I'm taking the watts and multiplying it by the ohms and then i get the square root of that which gives the voltage. My math isn't wrong FFS learn to read.

Last edited:
Where did you come up with 2000x2 then sq rt of that?

It should be set to 44.7v

You mulitply the nominal ohm load by the desired wattage you intend to run.

63v is clipping the fuck out of your signal because you're trying to pull 4k out of a 2k amp. You will blow your **** quick at the level you are set at.

Save this chart for reference

2000 was my amp watts, and the 2 was my speakers resistance. Then I took the square root of 4000 for the 63v, which was because originally I thought I was supposed to go by my speakers resistance (which is 2 ohm), so I set it to output 63v, which I guess now from what you're saying I need to go buy what im running it at which would be 1 ohm and set to 44v.

Thats all I needed to know, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to go by my speakers resistance of 2 ohm or what im running it at on the amp at 1 ohm. I need a bigger amp lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

raider89

10+ year member
raider89
OH
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from