Setting amp gain with multimeter - load or no load???

If I read correctly, he has 400 watts more than the subs can handle.
Thats correct Maylar - its a Hifonics BRZ2400.1D (cea rated) and my subs are wired up at 1ohm 2000wrms all together. Although I did hear that the American Bass XFL 15's that I have can handle a little bit more, I am kinda nervous about pushing them too far but I just might try it lol (without any clipping that is!)

Think I have found my answer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Besides annoying the neighbors and risk of destroying the sub plus shaking stuff off the shelves in my garage lol, I think using the dmm method with no load, IS OK in my book!
Good info. I've always wondered how this would measure.

Never taken the time to check.

overpowering has never led me to damage a driver, atm I have two 12"s rated at 600rms each but there seeing 900+ and sound great, the only time I have ruined drivers is when I tried to run an amp that was matched as far as output and then tried to drive it harder causing the signal to clip and the voice coils to go thermal but this was my own fault obviously.
I agree with you to an extent //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I got a sound off I *might* enter this Sunday, I am thinking about setting the gains for a little bit under the amps full unclipped output after the first run and see what happens //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I am curious wether these subs will take an extra 200wrms to each one for a few seconds hehe... I will be back with the good or bad news sunday night lol.

I agree with you to an extent //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I got a sound off I *might* enter this Sunday, I am thinking about setting the gains a littler higher after the first run and see what happens //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I am curious wether these subs will take an extra 200wrms to each one for a few seconds hehe... I will be back with the good or bad news sunday night lol.
they should be fine with that little over rms I had some hx2's that had 1000rms going to each a month or so ago and they went for days on that kind of power non stop and where a little loose but the coils still looked and read as new, also when setting the reason I set for true rms of the amp is to make up for the differences in music as it's very dynamic and even worse when going from one genre to another.

they should be fine with that little over rms I had some hx2's that had 1000rms going to each a month or so ago and they went for days on that kind of power non stop and where a little loose but the coils still looked and read as new, also when setting the reason I set for true rms of the amp is to make up for the differences in music as it's very dynamic and even worse when going from one genre to another.
This is very true my friend! I have seldom run into this problem and even worse when you have mp3's... or how about some 70's or 80's rock vs. dubstep levels lol.

This is very true my friend! I have seldom run into this problem and even worse when you have mp3's... or how about some 70's or 80's rock vs. dubstep levels lol.

Ah I see you feel my pain! This is why I have three knobs mounted in my dash one for subwoofer attenuation(rca in-line)subwoofer boost at 45hz and one for high level boost at 12khz if I remember right, you just got to remember to turn the boost down before turning the system up to high levels then add them as/if needed. I also run an in dash volt meter so I can monitor my voltage because when my amps clip my voltage drops so I know to back off a little or at least know just how much further I can push it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

momofx

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
momofx
IL, USA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date