SEALED vs PORTED (basic info.)

IM GOING FROM MAKING A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT BOXES IVE BUILT AND SEEN AND WHAT NOT , IVE BEEN BUILDING SUB BOXES FOR 11 NOW AND AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED EVERYBODY IS TRYING TO BE TO SPIFFY AND TECHNO ABOUT IT.. ALL THESE (( SMD )) AMP TESTER THINGS ARE NOT NEEDED FOR ANYBODY WHOS HOOKED UP SYSTEMS. AS FAR AS BOXES. SEALED VS PORTED. SEALED BOXES SLAM.... AND U CAN TUNED A SEALED BOX, U DO IT BY MAKING IT LARGER AND DEEPER.. A REGULAR PORTED BOX (( NOT BANDPASS)) SHOULD BE TUNED NO HIGHER THAN 40 HERTZ. I TUNE MY BOXES TO 33 OR 28 HERTZ 90 PERCENT OF THE TIME. BANDBASS BOXES U CAN TUNE A LITTLE HIGHER.... THE PROBLEM IS WITH PORTED BOXES IS NOT JUST THE BOXES IT SELF BUT THE INFO AROUND IT, WHAT I MEAN BY THAT IS PEOPLE THINK TO MUCH ABOUT A REGULAR PORTED ENCLOSURE. THE WHOLE POINT OF A CUSTOM SUBWOOFER BOX IS TO REPRODUCE THAT (( LOUD DEEP BASS )) TO DO THAT U MUST TUNE THE BOX LOW. EVERYBODY HAS THERE OWN REASONS AND WHAT NOT BUT I CAN ASURE YOU THAT IF YOU MADE A SEALED BOX AND U PUT 2 12Z INSIDE AND IT WAS 3.4CFT AND THEN U MADE A PORTED BOX THAT WAS 40HERTZ AND IT WAS 4CFT. THE PORTED BOX WOULDNT BE AS LOUD TO THE EAR AND IT WOULDNT HAVE THAT DEEP BASS . BUT BECAUSE THATS A MEDUIM SIZE SEALED BOX IT WILL WANT TO CAPUTURE LOWER BASS. U HAVE TO WATCH OUT FRO MAKING A SEALED BOX TO BIG BECAUSE ULL TEAR THE SPIDERS ON UR SUB. I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT A LARGE SEALED BOX WITH A PAIR OF 15S INSIDE WILL CHANGE UR MIND ABOUT SEALED BOXES. IF YOUR MAKING A BOX FOR A SUV U CAN TUNE IT HIGHER, BUT IN SMALLER CARS U GOTTA TUNE IT LOW. ANOTHER THING IS THAT PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND IS THAT MOST OF THE TIME THE BIGGER THE BOX ,THE MORE LOUD AND POWERFULL BASS.. IE i had 2 re 15s one box was around 7-8 cft and then i made a big *** one and it was 17.5cft after everything and tuned to 28 hertz and the bigger box was 2x as loud... same subs and same amps. ....................IVE BLOWN SUBS, IVE BUILT TONS OF BOXES AND I KNOW WHAT WORKS................
Lol u think u know what your doing but by that ^ paragraph u don't know what u are talking about. I bet 2 12s in a 4c ported box will be louder then 2 12a in a 3.4cubed sealed box. All depends on the woofers and power used.

Being louder isn't always all that. I heard some beast systems that are so loud they just sound like ****. How fkin loud do you really need to be and still be able to listen to it?

I tend to think that a properly designed ported box will hit lower and have flatter response than that of a sealed. I don't really like sealed boxes much except in tight spaces and ultra ultra high SQ installs like adding extension to a BMW or Mercedes.... in those cases I like to find a great SQ driver and put it in a pretty decently sized sealed box for the sake of OEM look and a non "boomy" sound no matter what.
I have 2 JL 12"S w6v3 in 4 cubes tuned to 34hz and it sounds good but would my sound quality improve if I sealed the port? Or is 4 cubes too big for a sealed ?

I have 2 JL 12"S w6v3 in 4 cubes tuned to 34hz and it sounds good but would my sound quality improve if I sealed the port? Or is 4 cubes too big for a sealed ?
And you bumped a thread from 2004 because?? lol, start a new thread.

Don't seal it up.....

Wow great info I learned a lot from reading that. I have a question; I like dubstep, trap, rap, house, trip hop and other genres focused on heavy bass. It sounds like I'd be better off with a ported enclosure. Is that correct?

Wow great info I learned a lot from reading that. I have a question; I like dubstep, trap, rap, house, trip hop and other genres focused on heavy bass. It sounds like I'd be better off with a ported enclosure. Is that correct?
Yes a custom built ported box will have strong accurate bass

A lot of that music like any music relies more on midbass then you would think.

yeah those genres dont go deep with the bass at all. best you'll see is around 33hz drops, the rest is solely based around 40 to 50hz basslines.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...