SEALED vs PORTED (basic info.)

I have just purchased a pair of Sony Subwoofers Model XS-L100P5W and is seriously considering placing them in a Bandpass enclosure. I am looking at the HBX BP10 enclosure. I love Reggae, Jazz, Hip Hop and Soca music. What is your view on the combination and your recommendation. To be installed in a SUV Suzuki Sidekick.

Thank You.

Hey, I brought a package with Infinity Reference 1250w 12" Woofer, wiring, sub woofer box and an amp.

The Subwoofer Specs are:

12"

Sensitivity: 93 dB

Power handling: 300W RMS, 1200W PEAK

Frequency responce: 23 - 400 Hz

Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms

The box is about 43 litres (roughly 39cm by 41cm by 27cm) , at first i thought it would be best to port my box as it would mean less stress on the base, and possibly better deep bass sounds which suit the type of music i listen to (hip hop). But the sheet i got with the subwoofer says the best volume for a ported box is 56 litres, now i am wondering if my box is too small to port relative to my subwoofer?

Can anyone tell me whether i can port my box and the length and diameter of the port?

PS: If theres any other information you need to give me an answer please let me know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks

isn't their a web site with an automated program that helps to work out the port sizes based on the size of your box and the frequency you are tryin to achieve .............. for those who arnt good with math that is. i stumbled upon a web site one time but cant remember it.

Alright. . . I read the first two pages.. Not sure if I missed anything inbetween.

I have a question... Why are boxes tuned higher louder? Whats the highest I would want to tune my box, and have maximum loudness, for listening to music?

I'm using a type R.. current box is 32hz.. Kinda low, but it sounds pretty good. I'm not sure exactly how many watts it's getting, lol.. From what the DMM say, it's getting like 1300, but it's a Power Acoustik amp, so who knows..

Anyway, if anyone could answer those Q's it would be awesome!..

Thanks.

Why are boxes tuned higher louder? Whats the highest I would want to tune my box, and have maximum loudness, for listening to music?
That is all frequency dependent. A box tuned to 30hz will probably be louder at 25hz than the same sub in a box tuned to 45hz. But, in the enclosure tuned to 45hz, it may be much louder at 50hz than the enclosure tuned to 30hz.

It's a matter of bandwidth vs output. You can have high output over a small bandwidth, medium output over a medium bandwidth, or you can have high bandwidth with low output.

I know what I want, I don't know what you want!

Just remember that the higher you tune, the more low frequency bandwidth you lose. That means that songs that drop pretty low won't be as loud as they were on an enclosure tuned lower.

OH, I get what you're saying now. . .

That makes sense.. Te further below tuning freq the note is, the worse the port works...

SO.. I'm looking to get louder than what I have right now (32hz) but still have a box thats good for listenign to music overall (I don't want to be missing notes, but I will sacrifice some quality for loudness)

Ok, you understand, but your demands are too vague.

You say you want "louder" but you don't specify where you want to be louder at? How much music do you listen to that you think drops low?

Can you name these songs (name the songs that have the lowest bass line that you don't want to give up output with)?

Ok. Well, I listen to rap, almost completely for the bass. I THINK one thats stands out as a song with low bass lines is "Blue Berry yum yum".. Mainly listen to Outkast though.

I don't think that the higher freq. would be an issue with much of the other stuff I listen to.

hey guys. i need help.. imma change my box.. who can help me design a box for my 2 subs 12". i have only a limited space for the box. H=15, L=40, W=17. i got 2 subs . i need a sketch for a box. pls pls pls... i don't know which is better, if the subs are in a single chamber or separate.. thanks in advance,.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...