Sealed off trunk and got quieter???

gsuchyta
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I sealed off my trunk in my 2000 civic with my 2 hdc12's and one 2200

box is 4.5 cubes net at 33hz

before I sealed it off it was killing the lows and everything and after sealing it off the lows just are not there anymore and subs don't move that much either on the low notes.

I think it's because there is a lot more pressure now in the cabin and I only have one 2200 on the pair and it the subs don't have as much air to excite now that the trunk is sealed off. Does this sound right?

I know if I had another 2200 this would be a different story and they would move more. Right now with my tuning so low I'm peaking at 39hz.

It does feel like there is more pressure if that makes any sense just not as loud.

Can anyone explain this to me?

sorry I have the subs and port facing into the cabin and before I sealed it off there were gaps on either side of the box and top and bottom and now its sealed off from the trunk completely so all the pressure stays in the cabin.

Hmm, might just be peaking higher now and doesn't sound as loud to the ear. Did you ever get metered before you sealed it? It definitely should be meter louder sealed off from the trunk.

ya it def sounds like it is peaking a lot higher now and no i didn't meter it before i sealed it off so i'm thinking that with my peak being much higher now and the box tuned at 33hz is just not a good combination not until i get another 2200. frequencies where the sub would be wangin before now they hardly move like they are struggling but I can tell my front windshield is moving more on the higher frequencies now where it used to be lower frequencies where it would move most.

Sealing off the trunk is mainly done with spl setups in order to raise the peak frequency of the car and make a higher tuning work well. I definitely wouldn't do it for a daily driver since it alters the cabin gain of the vehicle and makes the path from the sub to you shorter, which gives it less distance for the wave to develop.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.