Sealed Enclosure Question

Modeling doesn't mean shit once the box goes in a car.
OP, I would personally recommend tuning around 35-40 for rock music.. Just be very careful playing any kind of music with synthetic bass. You'll want the subsonic filter on your amp around 10hz below tuning to prevent your subs from bottoming out.
Modeling does mean something. Are you shooting for a high +3db +6db peak at tuning for burping, or does one want to have a nice flat response, no peak for greater sound quality and musicality. Different enclosure design provide distinct roll off characteristics. You can view these by modeling. So dont say modeling does nothing.

By far some of the worst responses in this thread about an enclosure. First off, when did a 3rd order become magically LOUDER or better than a sealed enclosure? Every sealed enclosure I build for myself always sounds amazing. Those that thing ported digs lower, you are wrong. Yes audibly they sound louder, but for near perfect audio reproduction, a sealed enclosure OR IB wins every time. To properly design the enclosure you must take into account all t/s parameters. That is what they are there for! OP if you would like some guidance and assistance please feel free to send me a private message.
I'm assuming you meant 4th order? A ported box is technically a 4th order...

Also, you're right about sealed digging lower. That's why if you're going for sub-30hz bass I'd always recommend a 4th order.. A ported box has better response right around tuning, but that's it. A ported box can, however, sound great if it is designed properly.

I'm assuming you meant 4th order? A ported box is technically a 4th order...
Also, you're right about sealed digging lower. That's why if you're going for sub-30hz bass I'd always recommend a 4th order.. A ported box has better response right around tuning, but that's it. A ported box can, however, sound great if it is designed properly.
whoops hah! you are correct. But yes a ported box can sound great absolutely. I design them all the time for customers with a nice flat response. BUT In order to achieve the low end response you can get from a sealed box requires to large of an enclosure.

Doesn't it need a sealed section to be a 4th?
no a ported box is a 4th order. a 4th order band pass is what you are thinking of sir. An enclosure acts as the Mass, and the port acts as another piston or spring that stores energy. They are independent of the speaker and that's why a ported box is a 4th order. Fun fact, Order, is the total number of storage components.

Not a battle. Thats the problem with this forum, Those open to insight are thwarted away by the constant arguing in a thread.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Everyone has this stigma that "ported digs lower than sealed" but they don't realize that low for me is 20-25hz... My music rarely ever includes bass notes over 45hz. If you want that kind of response from a ported box, you have to either tune stupid low (this is where PRs come in handy) or as you said, have an extremely large box that reduces the mechanical power handling of your subs.

The above is exactly why I'm likely going with a 4th order for my next build

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Doesn't it need a sealed section to be a 4th?
4th order bass reflex = "ported"

4th order bandpass = "4th order"

Not a battle. Thats the problem with this forum, Those open to insight are thwarted away by the constant arguing in a thread.
Simple solution, Don. Respond to EVERY enclosure question thread...

Seriously, though, you raise interesting points that I think people overlook. Question is, at what point in raising sealed enclosure size do you get before you end up experiencing diminished returns? I'm obviously asking for a rough average.

Simple solution, Don. Respond to EVERY enclosure question thread...
Seriously, though, you raise interesting points that I think people overlook. Question is, at what point in raising sealed enclosure size do you get before you end up experiencing diminished returns? I'm obviously asking for a rough average.
When you say raising sealed enclosure size from what point do you mean? recommended manuf. size? Each driver has distinct parameters so its pretty hard to throw out a general "rule of thumb."

When you say raising sealed enclosure size from what point do you mean? recommended manuf. size? Each driver has distinct parameters so its pretty hard to throw out a general "rule of thumb."
Agreed, generalizing here won't do much. Let's say you design a sealed enclosure for a...12W6 (don't know why that's the first sub to come to mind, but whatever). After plotting it in something like WinISD, you determine it needs (arbitrary number) 1 cube for that magical Qts of 0.707 (even if the manufacturer recommends less). As you start bringing enclosure size up from that point, how does efficiency and response change? Is it similar to how response is affected by an IB sub as you raise the cabin space for the backwave or do you end up risking mechanical damage to the subwoofer?

Modeling doesn't mean shit once the box goes in a car.
OP, I would personally recommend tuning around 35-40 for rock music.. Just be very careful playing any kind of music with synthetic bass. You'll want the subsonic filter on your amp around 10hz below tuning to prevent your subs from bottoming out.
The amp I have doesn't have subsonic filtering.

Then you need a new amp.. That's not good at all
Well, considering my amp is 500W RMS and my subs are 300W RMS EACH (I have 2, so 600W total), also mentioned in the aforementioned posts of this thread, I'm PRETTY SURE I'll be okay. Especially since I don't ever listen to rap or music that has very low frequencies.

Well, considering my amp is 500W RMS and my subs are 300W RMS EACH (I have 2, so 600W total), also mentioned in the aforementioned posts of this thread, I'm PRETTY SURE I'll be okay. Especially since I don't ever listen to rap or music that has very low frequencies.
What amp is it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.