Sealed Enclosure Question

2 10's sealed on 500wrms is not going to hit hard at all. Though in smaller vehicles they certainly can' date=' due to the cabin gain.
the other guy is right, if you have the room, ported may be a better option.[/quote']

I know it won't hit hard, compared to many other subs, but I had a single 10 inch at 150 RMS and it was punching more than these 2 are. I also had 2 very under powered 12 inch subs (150 watts for 2 300 watt each sub) at one point and they still hit harder (granted they're 12 inche, not 10).

Doing a lil research will help you out a lil more than getting every question you have answered by 15 diff people. Take your time and do it right.
I've been trying to find that answer but I'm finding people are saying 33Hz and then others saying 40-45Hz. I'm guessing it's just personal taste, but I havent heard rock in a ported enclosure. YET!

2 10's sealed on 500wrms is not going to hit hard at all. Though in smaller vehicles they certainly can' date=' due to the cabin gain.
the other guy is right, if you have the room, ported may be a better option.

BTW. I just graphed out your subs in WinISD and it shows that in a sealed box, the kenwood xw10 needs 3.4cf to be maximally flat. Putting them in a 0.65cf box results in an increase of output in the upper bass frequencies, but a MASSIVE loss of output below Fb.

Based on what I've seen, I would recommend at minimum a 2cf box for each sub. Even better if ported.[/quote']

I listen to more Rock than anything, so wouldn't I want a little more in the upper bass frequencies, or is that just stupid?

I listen to more Rock than anything, so wouldn't I want a little more in the upper bass frequencies, or is that just stupid?
It's not stupid at all. If your Rock Music has bass mostly in a 50-100hz range, then by all means do whatever to increase output in that range. In your case in particular, it seems like maybe you need more cone area and more power.

It's not stupid at all. If your Rock Music has bass mostly in a 50-100hz range' date=' then by all means do whatever to increase output in that range. In your case in particular, it seems like maybe you need more cone area and more power.[/quote']
That's what I'm thinking. But I'm trying to deal with what I have and make what I can to increase output without having to buy all new equipment.

I know I've already been told to look it up, but what would you tune a ported box to for a mix of Rock and bass heavy music, such as techno?

Also, you said 2cf each for sealed, what about ported?

Well, I would, but I'm trying to keep it low cost and I've never built a box, let alone a ported box, and I don't feel like dolling out extra dough.
there's people who do free enclosure designs on the site that can give you a ported box blueprint with neccessary cutout sheets and such. Makes a big difference. The bass from sealed boxes always feel anemic to me.

That's what I'm thinking. But I'm trying to deal with what I have and make what I can to increase output without having to buy all new equipment.
I know I've already been told to look it up, but what would you tune a ported box to for a mix of Rock and bass heavy music, such as techno?

Also, you said 2cf each for sealed, what about ported?
its gonna depend. If you tune too low, your not gonna hit anything in that music, If you tune it low enough around 30-34hz you'll have a slow roll off so you'll be hearing it but its not going to be loud or present. tuning in the 40s to 50s is a delicate situation, depending on the overall design of the port and size of the box, you can either have flat response(ideal) or a One note wonder box where it peaks hard in a very limited range. generally you'd want to tune higher if your library is mainly composed of those genres.

BTW FYI most guys on this site cant live without bass hitting 30z and below and most will recommend a low tuning. You should take matters into your own hands and download winISD learn how to use it and see the frequency response graphs for your self so you can find out what kind of sound you will be getting from your box.

A properly built to spec Ported box would be best but a well built Sealed box will yield very good results.

You have asked a question about a subwoofer box on an enthusiast site.

Expect a "get the most you can" response.

the other guy is right, if you have the room, ported may be a better option.

BTW. I just graphed out your subs in WinISD and it shows that in a sealed box, the kenwood xw10 needs 3.4cf to be maximally flat. Putting them in a 0.65cf box results in an increase of output in the upper bass frequencies, but a MASSIVE loss of output below Fb.

Based on what I've seen, I would recommend at minimum a 2cf box for each sub. Even better if ported.[/quote']

Modeling doesn't mean shit once the box goes in a car.

OP, I would personally recommend tuning around 35-40 for rock music.. Just be very careful playing any kind of music with synthetic bass. You'll want the subsonic filter on your amp around 10hz below tuning to prevent your subs from bottoming out.

By far some of the worst responses in this thread about an enclosure. First off, when did a 3rd order become magically LOUDER or better than a sealed enclosure? Every sealed enclosure I build for myself always sounds amazing. Those that thing ported digs lower, you are wrong. Yes audibly they sound louder, but for near perfect audio reproduction, a sealed enclosure OR IB wins every time. To properly design the enclosure you must take into account all t/s parameters. That is what they are there for! OP if you would like some guidance and assistance please feel free to send me a private message.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.