Sealed Enclosure Question

Preston019
10+ year member

Texas
Hey guys,

I'm making my first ever sub enclosure for 2 10" subs and I'm wondering how accurate I need to be to manufacturers suggestion.

-Manufacturer says I need 0.65 cu ft for each sub in a sealed enclosure.

-The displacement of each sub is 0.052 cu ft.

-I'm using 3/4 MDF

-The box I'm thinking about building will be 26in x 14in x 10in

-There will be an internal divider between the subs, giving them their own chamber, made out of 3/4 MDF

-I was planning on putting 6 braces total in the enclosure (3 in each chamber) made out of 1in x 1in dowel: 2 of them will be 11.875in and 4 will be 8.5in.

So for the total volume of airspace in the enclosure is 1.32246 cu ft and the total volume needed for the subs (combined) is 1.3 cu ft. Making a difference of ~0.022464 cu ft

Will these measurements be close enough, or should it be closer to 1.3 cu ft?

Again, I'm a newbie and I've never built a sub enclosure before.

Sealed boxes are much more forgiving of slight variances in air volume compared to other alignments.
Based on what you provided, I believe you will be fine.
This is probably a stupid question, but how forgiving would you say they were in general? As in, how much can you be off and still be okay?

This is probably a stupid question, but how forgiving would you say they were in general? As in, how much can you be off and still be okay?
you can be off by cubic foot after cubic foot and still be OK.

you can be off by cubic foot after cubic foot and still be OK.
I can be off as in over by many cubic feet? Or can I be under by a cubic foot and still be okay?

I'm just wondering because I have my subs in a prefab box now and it's only ~1 cu ft. and they don't hit that hard or sound super swell either. So if I go to at least recommended size will they hit harder/sound better?

If you have all the tools to build a sealed a few more bucks (if that)will definitely yield a ported. There's a couple doods here that will design on for you for freeeeeee! You probably have all you need already.

If you have all the tools to build a sealed a few more bucks (if that)will definitely yield a ported. There's a couple doods here that will design on for you for freeeeeee! You probably have all you need already.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif Do you know who they are, or will I just have to post another thread asking?

I can be off as in over by many cubic feet? Or can I be under by a cubic foot and still be okay?
I'm just wondering because I have my subs in a prefab box now and it's only ~1 cu ft. and they don't hit that hard or sound super swell either. So if I go to at least recommended size will they hit harder/sound better?
what kind of subs are they? what amp do you have?

If the manufacturer says .65cf is the way to go, you probably can put them in a box anywhere from .50 to 2cf big. The bigger the box, the stronger the sub will play below Fb.

2 10's sealed on 500wrms is not going to hit hard at all. Though in smaller vehicles they certainly can, due to the cabin gain.

the other guy is right, if you have the room, ported may be a better option.

BTW. I just graphed out your subs in WinISD and it shows that in a sealed box, the kenwood xw10 needs 3.4cf to be maximally flat. Putting them in a 0.65cf box results in an increase of output in the upper bass frequencies, but a MASSIVE loss of output below Fb.

Based on what I've seen, I would recommend at minimum a 2cf box for each sub. Even better if ported.

I listen to mostly Rock/Metal and some EDM, what would be a recommended tuning frequency? 35Hz?
Doing a lil research will help you out a lil more than getting every question you have answered by 15 diff people. Take your time and do it right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.