SAE-1000D Weird Issue

Participant count
  • Participant list

phantom240
5,000+ posts

ALL YOUR INTERNETZ
I've got an old beater Sundown SAE-1000D that's close to a decade old now, and it's having an issue where the output will go from normal to about 30% or less at random. Power isn't an issue, my 4 channel and sub amp share a 0awg feed and ground, the issue happens at all volume levels, and I don't have issues with the 4 channel amp. Connections are all nice and secure. When the output volume drops low, if I crank the volume or turn the sub level up, it'll come back to normal like flipping a switch. There's no bass knob hooked up. I'm leaning toward faulty inputs on the amp, or bad RCAs because I made a turn today and during the turn, the output was right where it should have been. Any ideas what else I can look at?

Last edited:
Swap out the RCA cables and see if the problem goes away. Since it comes and goes it might be hard to troubleshoot, though it does sound like a signal input issue since the amp is otherwise functioning.

Being the amp is older, the control pots and switches might be getting some oxidation on the contacts. Cleaning them may or may not help, but also not something everyone will be able to do. I’ve seen dirty gain / crossover controls cause issues with output level or stop some channels from working on multi-channel amps. Though I would think if movement is causing a change, it is less likely to be that unless the amp is really bouncing around.

I personally would start with the RCA cables, simple, cheap, and if making a turn possibly caused it to start working again, RCA cable is certainly a place to start. Obviously I get that it might not be simple to swap them if you have to pull a bunch of trim panels, but it could be the issue. Maybe just put some RCA cables loosly from the head unit to amp so you don't have to do a ton of stuff for no reason. I don't know about Sundown, but some mono sub amps will have less output if one side of the RCA cables isn't working.

Swap out the RCA cables and see if the problem goes away. Since it comes and goes it might be hard to troubleshoot, though it does sound like a signal input issue since the amp is otherwise functioning.

Being the amp is older, the control pots and switches might be getting some oxidation on the contacts. Cleaning them may or may not help, but also not something everyone will be able to do. I’ve seen dirty gain / crossover controls cause issues with output level or stop some channels from working on multi-channel amps. Though I would think if movement is causing a change, it is less likely to be that unless the amp is really bouncing around.

I personally would start with the RCA cables, simple, cheap, and if making a turn possibly caused it to start working again, RCA cable is certainly a place to start. Obviously I get that it might not be simple to swap them if you have to pull a bunch of trim panels, but it could be the issue. Maybe just put some RCA cables loosly from the head unit to amp so you don't have to do a ton of stuff for no reason. I don't know about Sundown, but some mono sub amps will have less output if one side of the RCA cables isn't working.

There may very well be some oxidization, as the Chevy Avalanche is known for having issues with moisture intrusion. Amp is mounted fairly solid. I really don't want to go running new RCAs through the truck cause that was a nightmare lol, but if I have to, so be it. Is there a good way to clean oxidization from the inputs on the amp? RCA cables themselves will be easy to clean.

Check RCA's, connections at inline fuse, and the ground. If all three of those are solid then fix or replace the amp.
All power wiring is nice and tight. Now to check the RCAs... ugh

Could be loose or worn connections inside the amp.
That's what I'm thinking. I hooked up the RCAs that run to the rear speaker channels to the amp (I'm not running rear fill at the moment) and turned the HU crossover to throughpass, and still having issues. I thought this amp might be at the end of it's life back when the power LED stopped working some time ago, and now it seems to be the case. I popped the cover off the bottom of the amp and didn't see any noticeable fuckery. Gave the wires running from the inputs to the board, and nothing unusual.

Is it out of the realm of possible that the subs themselves could be causing some of these shenanigans? Maybe weak solder joints at the tinsel leads? They're just a couple old dookie ass Kicker 43CVR124 subs.

I'm gonna pull my meter out of my work van tomorrow and check to see what the output voltage is from the amp and see if maybe the terminal cups in my enclosure might be toast. Hell, I dunno.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...