Rockford T2S1-16 Rebuild

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mikewid04

CarAudio.com Newbie
I guess I should have researched this before buying, my fault for assuming. Personally I have never blown a sub, but I assumed Rockford would have a rebuild kit for it if I ever needed. One of them seized up on me, no idea why as they were barely under any power. Rockford indicated they do not sell a replacement rebuild kit for this subwoofer. It ended up being replaced under warranty, and they had me destory the other sub and show proof.

My surprise about this is due to the fact that this sub was designed to be easily rebuildable. On the back side of the mounting surface is a gasket, upon removing it there are screws which hold a retainer that clamps down on the foam surround of the cone.

Both spiders are also clamped down by retaining rings and a bit of glue to the frame. Both of which would be ridiculously easy to install a new one.

No rebuild kit for a $1,200 sub that was clearly designed to be easily rebuilt…(shoulder shrug). I am guessing this product line will be discontinued. The voice coil appeared to be fine, but they didn’t seem to have any concern over determining why it failed.

04052475-D2AD-48D9-A8D2-71E5DAB489A3.jpeg

99DA1404-C802-4C64-BF3C-A266C5B760C4.jpeg

9AF6C015-E7A9-4829-8D17-9AE5A5464FAC.jpeg

55D4D50C-5C27-49B3-AA8C-6104A4FEF78D.jpeg

I'm not a fan of RF subs from that type of design standpoint. Their designs are kind of over cooked for my style, but the subs seem to perform. I would run a less long time standing, less funky corporate style brand, maybe. There's long standing audio companies who sort of have weird and proprietary designs for almost no other reason than making it impossible for anyone else to work on it, and you see weird situations like you have here. Idk the whole circumstance, but I almost guarantee for $1200 I could buy a sub that would wreck the performance of those woofers, and I could buy recones for them. Don't get me wrong, RF has nice stuff, their subs are just expensive for what you get, IMO.

Just make sure your box is properly designed and built, and you have clean power, signal, and tuning and you should be good.

Last edited:
Just to give you an example of subs I'd take over those RF's, not saying the RF's are bad: https://www.ficaraudio.com/product-page/hc

Those RF's need a big box...what's your box specs? That's something I specialize in, if you're worried you have any system issues 🤓
Bobby Gately built the box I had for it. I think it was around 9.5cf net. I ended up getting rid of the vehicle I had them in and never really had a chance to push them. I have a truck I contemplated doing a 6th order blow through system with. I was going to add two more of these subs, but I’m not as eager if they can’t be rebuilt. I may just sell them.

Bobby Gately built the box I had for it. I think it was around 9.5cf net. I ended up getting rid of the vehicle I had them in and never really had a chance to push them. I have a truck I contemplated doing a 6th order blow through system with. I was going to add two more of these subs, but I’m not as eager if they can’t be rebuilt. I may just sell them.
A series 6th for 4 of those would be massive. You'd probably need like 40-45 net cubes minimum lol, if you want a decent front chamber boost.

Last edited:
I’m not that familar with Fi subs but do know they are commonly used is SPL applications. I had two JP23’s strapped at 2ohms. I’d probably stick with this setup and just add more of them.

Only other idea I had was to run the two T2S1-16’s in the bed of the truck with the current vented box and then vent into cabin with a pass through. If they every broke I would just make an adapter ring to go from the 16” down to 15”. I’d rework the seat brackets to move them forward a few inches so I can have 4 8’s or 10’s down firing and up vented.

RF isn't really the sub brand that comes to mind if you're competing and blowing subs and therefore in need of a rebuild kit.
The surprise wasn’t that they didn’t offer one…it’s how much engineering went into making it easily replaceable, and then not offering one. Maybe it’s something with the voice coil gapping. Also, that they had no interest in determining why it failed from a QC standpoint.

Not even really sure why I got them in the first place. I was just getting back into car audio in the last few years, guess it just felt safe 😂
To be fair to RF, these things are no joke, it’s a very well built sub. In hindsight, no I would not get them again

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...